Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
14c in the kitchen
That's yesterday gone

Good morning.

Today will be fun. I have an appointment at 11, doing my actual job of actually training an actual trainee. Except that last night I got a message from the boss saying I need to pick up about 40 bicycles from the local authority. It takes about 25 minutes to drive there. I pointed out to the manager of the facility I work in, that this means I can't make the appointment. Her response was a breezy "Set off at 09:30 and you'll be fine."

I'll be driving out tatty delivery van; from experience I can squeeze (and I mean squeeze) about 14 bikes in there, at a push. Thankfully our bike storage area is a few KM from the local government office, say ten minutes. Add ten minutes to load fifteen bikes and ten to unload. That's half an hour per trip one way, plus ten minutes back.

40 bikes and a van that can take 14 means about three trips, as seen above each trip is about 40 minutes assuming I have a free space for loading and the door is left open so I don't have to find a key holder each time.

So 3x40 minutes = 2 hours, plus the 25 minutes to get there, and let's say about ten minutes to find a parking space, find the door, get the receptionist to find the person responsible, get directed to the delivery door, pull up, door open, and find the bikes. So we're already at, let's be generous here, about 2 1/2 hours assuming everything goes incredibly smoothly and there's absolutely no congestion or parking problems, no need to sort any of the bikes, all the bike fit first time, the door to the bike store is conveniently left wide open we drive back and forth, and of course the "40 bikes" estimate is accurate.

After all this, I still need to sort the bikes into reusable bikes and bikes that will be dismantled, and re-load 14 reusable bikes and any salvaged parts I can fit in the van, to take back to my own workshop. This usually takes about half an hour to an hour, so we're now on at least 3 hours, probably getting on for four.

Than of course I need to get back, another 25 minutes if I really put my foot down, and unload these bikes, take them upstairs in the goods lift, and get them to the storage area, which is the opposite side of the building to the goods lift. Typically this takes a good half hour as well, all told.

So there and back, plus shuttling and unloading bikes, plus other shenanigans, say four hours, assuming all this runs perfectly, the roads are clear and I somehow channel my inner racing driver. Probably five is more accurate. Assuming I race about getting organised enough to leave at exactly 09:30, which I won't because there's too much traffic until 9 then I might get back just after one, maybe two in the afternoon...

I think the manager is about to learn that over optimistic estimations lead to disappointment.

Do you think I should try to tell her it was a valuable learning experience?

At work three minutes and there's a change of plan. the transport team will deal with it. They reckon they can get 60 bikes in a LWB transporter and they will "Show me how it's done".

Makes me wonder how much of the damage on bikes I get is caused by our own transport team.

Still, I can actually do my job at least, and keeping appointments to me is an important part of training people. It would have been entertaining though to see the manager's face when I got back well into the afternoon...

tyred

Legendary Member
What a pain in the arris!
Just a thought: if said cowboy won't come and fix it, can you not (ask your legal team first, obv!) get the work done professionally and then sue him for the cost?

I'm not sure how that would work. It is the guy downstairs who has the real grievance as he has water running into his bedroom. I have only a slightly tatty patio.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A grey driech morning with heavy rain and strong winds forecast. Livestock may not get carried but this will be decided on a sailing by sailing basis.
The missing hen still causing disturbance as it seems to be half way down a steep slope which is too dangerous for people to descend. The others managed to scramble back home by themselves.
An otter is know to come up the nearby burn which may have spooked them.
The "experts" will tell you otters are very shy and avoid people etc.
One lived under the pontoons at the marina and could be heard crunching shellfish as well as being visible sometimes. Possibly the same one which came up and had a look in our workshop door before wandering up the footpath past the pub into the wooded area. Another came up the steps at MacBrayne's pier and across the street to have a wander up the Lighthouse Path.

classic33

Leg End Member
Good morning.

Today will be fun. I have an appointment at 11, doing my actual job of actually training an actual trainee. Except that last night I got a message from the boss saying I need to pick up about 40 bicycles from the local authority. It takes about 25 minutes to drive there. I pointed out to the manager of the facility I work in, that this means I can't make the appointment. Her response was a breezy "Set off at 09:30 and you'll be fine."

I'll be driving out tatty delivery van; from experience I can squeeze (and I mean squeeze) about 14 bikes in there, at a push. Thankfully our bike storage area is a few KM from the local government office, say ten minutes. Add ten minutes to load fifteen bikes and ten to unload. That's half an hour per trip one way, plus ten minutes back.

40 bikes and a van that can take 14 means about three trips, as seen above each trip is about 40 minutes assuming I have a free space for loading and the door is left open so I don't have to find a key holder each time.

So 3x40 minutes = 2 hours, plus the 25 minutes to get there, and let's say about ten minutes to find a parking space, find the door, get the receptionist to find the person responsible, get directed to the delivery door, pull up, door open, and find the bikes. So we're already at, let's be generous here, about 2 1/2 hours assuming everything goes incredibly smoothly and there's absolutely no congestion or parking problems, no need to sort any of the bikes, all the bike fit first time, the door to the bike store is conveniently left wide open we drive back and forth, and of course the "40 bikes" estimate is accurate.

After all this, I still need to sort the bikes into reusable bikes and bikes that will be dismantled, and re-load 14 reusable bikes and any salvaged parts I can fit in the van, to take back to my own workshop. This usually takes about half an hour to an hour, so we're now on at least 3 hours, probably getting on for four.

Than of course I need to get back, another 25 minutes if I really put my foot down, and unload these bikes, take them upstairs in the goods lift, and get them to the storage area, which is the opposite side of the building to the goods lift. Typically this takes a good half hour as well, all told.

So there and back, plus shuttling and unloading bikes, plus other shenanigans, say four hours, assuming all this runs perfectly, the roads are clear and I somehow channel my inner racing driver. Probably five is more accurate. Assuming I race about getting organised enough to leave at exactly 09:30, which I won't because there's too much traffic until 9 then I might get back just after one, maybe two in the afternoon...

I think the manager is about to learn that over optimistic estimations lead to disappointment.

Do you think I should try to tell her it was a valuable learning experience?
Owdo

Apart from Km's being the correct abbreviation, I think, not KM. I think your over thinking it all.
You'll get it done when you get it done, not before.

Howabout removing the front wheel of all bar the lead bike, fastening the forks onto the rear axle of the bike in front, then making one long trailer.
The 40 front wheels should then fit in the van with room to spare.
And you get a bike ride in as well.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Good morning from an overcast Suffolk where it's almost time for the second coffee of the day if only to keep warm in a chilly office. Penultimate day here and, based on what's happened even so far this morning, I'm certain I've made the correct decision as we don't half have to deal with some clueless people - and they're the ones who are supposed to be the experts in the field!

Very slow puncture on the way in which will need a quick top up from the track pump I keep in my locker before going home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom