Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Mostly dry but we got the edges of showers passing just south of here.
Still no cycling but met a character with a beard nearly down to his waist who had a new looking cargo bike with e assist which latter he reckoned was essential.
No idea where he lives or what he does but certainly not poor even tho’ his wife appeared from the surgery to get her bike already parked there. I suspect over the other side of the island where all sorts of strange people live so the e assist is certainly needed if they cycle over here with a couple of nasty hills in the way.
One feature of living here is that you tend to assume that everyone knows who you are which used to be the case so it is difficult to admit you have no idea who you are talking to.
The dental receptionist is sympathetic to my plea to get moved further up the waiting list and has pencilled me in for treatment next week. Trouble is the dentist will not be back till Monday so the decision will not take place till then.
My son should be home before my Glasgow appointment so he can take me down for the appointment.
If everything goes to plan it should only take a minimum 3 days from here in contrast to somebody on the mainland who can do it in one day.
If the weather is reasonable I will have the trike with me so hopefully get some miles in and extend my visit.
A local haulier is suggesting that far from keeping our ferry fares low they should be raised instead for all travellers. Since he uses ferries with a 44 tonne truck his tongue is firmly in cheek but I wonder how many settlers know this.
FB should be interesting or rather inflammable by tomorrow.

A local haulier is suggesting that far from keeping our ferry fares low they should be raised instead for all travellers. Since he uses ferries with a 44 tonne truck his tongue is firmly in cheek but I wonder how many settlers know this.
FB should be interesting or rather inflammable by tomorrow.

No BOOM today. BOOM tomorrow. There's *always* a BOOM tomorrow...

tyred

Legendary Member
A bit of a wasted day off really as I didn't do anything very productive. Just a day of rest.

A complete nightmare is unfolding here as the guy in the flat below me has a leak in his bedroom roof. Which is below my balcony/terrace.

When I got the keys to this place, that area was paved but I objected because the paving stones were poorly laid and all loose and rocky. The builder fought and argued with me that they were designed that way by the architect (!) but I insisted I wanted them put down properly. What he actually did was lift them, dump them over the edge into downstairs back yard, breaking his bin in the process, and put down poorly laid concrete instead. I wasn't happy but I couldn't be bothered arguing with again so let it be.

Over the winter, the concrete has started to break up. It was never sealed and there still are some paving stones under the heat pump, which are still loose and it's obvious there's a lot of water below them which has finally found a way through to the ceiling below.

Obviously, my balcony will have to be dug up to sort this. The heat pump will have to be removed temporarily so I will have no hot water.

My neighbour has been phoning the builder who kept saying it's not his problem. He spoke to a solicitor whom he used before to force the builder to fix defects and the solicitor rang the builder today and he was round in less than than an hour!

He is refusing to fix it. He tried to tell me there is nothing wrong with the concrete breaking up as it is perfectly normal once it gets weathered (!), he has resigned from the management company last year so not his problem.

He allegedly wrote to everyone here to advise of this but clearly all 12 letters have got lost in the post! One of the other residents who has been fighting with him about defects has been digging into things and discovered he hasn't paid the insurance so both buildings are now uninsured. Apparently he wrote to us all about that too.

I really don't need this stress.

classic33

Leg End Member
I just gave it a yank which seemed to break the seal.
I suppose it might be quicker than cutting it.
Much blood?

Top Bottom