Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes. It's part of a SRAM hub system that is very common here but I've never seen one in the UK.

The bike is destined to be an "internal use" bike to shuttle between the main office and one of the shops in the next town, so I'm using a solid example because I know who will be riding it.
Cannot remember the details but I had the use of a backpedal brake bike for a while here in Scotland. I think it was at my grandparents croft where I spent most of my summer holidays until my mid teens. I rather liked it and the braking was certainly very good.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
An evening cuppa went down well

Mike_P

Guru
Actually quite good I stopped working when I did as I used the time to play hunt the missing house phone handset. One of a twin pair that audibly died when I called it yesterday from the other. Eventually found it hiding under a pile of newspapers but before then found the missing prong from a belt buckle. Refitted that not for the first but this gave it a good squeeze with a pair of fiat nose pilers.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Post breakfast stroll to the local garage to book my car in for its MOT and service while waiting for the washing machine to complete the rinse & spin cycle and got home just as the 'all done' beeps started. The afternoon turned out to be a bit breezy, but still sunny & warm enough for 2 1/2 hours out on the bike.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
First day back at work done. Had a morning of admin putting through awkward calls like who to make a cheque payable to! Tempted to say myself. Then this afternoon the useless main work program in its virtualised format froze. Now the trick is to open it again. You cannot have it open twice so both should shut down. The second one froze as well. Tried to use the live version but that is S...........l............o................w.
Decided not working was the best option

Get the cheques made payable to Corporate Administration Security Holdings - but tell them it's much quicker if they just use the initials and send them direct to your department ^_^

tyred

Legendary Member
Cannot remember the details but I had the use of a backpedal brake bike for a while here in Scotland. I think it was at my grandparents croft where I spent most of my summer holidays until my mid teens. I rather liked it and the braking was certainly very good.

I have two bikes with backpedal brakes although they don't see regular use. One is a 1937 Humber with an Eadie Coaster hub which was the original backpedal brake designed in the 1890s. I had to make a small shim to solder to the cam to take up the wear in it because new parts aren't available. It works well enough, certainly better than the rod brakes a bike like this would normally have.

My other is a 1960s Batavus with a Sachs Torpedo which is pretty powerful.

You adapt to riding them find, always stopping with the pedals in the right place.

Both bikes have front brakes too to comply with the law. Rod operated in the case of the Humber. The Batavus has a front brake that was obviously just fitted to comply with the law as the front rim doesn't have a proper braking surface.

tyred

Legendary Member
As an aside on the subject of backpedal brakes, I gave my Hungarian friend a go on my Brompton once as she was considering buying a bike and wasn't sure if she could still ride a bike as she hadn't done since someone stole her bike when she was at school.

It never occurred to me to explain how the brakes on the Brompton worked. As it turned out, the bikes she had back home in Hungary as a young girl all had backpedal brakes and no front brakes so she bumped the back of my 205 when she tried to stop by back pedalling!

It's been a nice sunny day here chez Casa Reynard, if a bit blustery - and chilly in the wind.

Sorry about my absence yesterday. I was feeling rather under the weather thanks to lady issues. I am feeling much better today, although not yet entirely Human. Enjoyed Arsenal's result against West Ham though, and also watched the Super Bowl.

Did a bunch of laundry this morning. Including the fleece throw off my bed that Madam Lexi honked a furball up on. Spent the afternoon making a large batch of my "double orange" marmalade. Now just having a nice relaxing evening.

Top Bottom