Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Processed a huge Scott pine today. I'm tyred....😵‍💫

Felling & cutting up into logs?

classic33

Leg End Member
It's been a cool and largely grey day here chez Casa Reynard, with some rain early doors.

Slept like a log after yesterday's trip to Alresford. Good journeys in both directions save some heavy traffic on the M25 near Heathrow on the outward leg due to a convoy of abnormal loads taking up two of the four lanes, and two lots of roadworks (M3 J4 and A10) on the return leg. Stopped at Winnall on the way home to tank up the car - petrol 2p a litre cheaper than in this corner of Cambs. The usual laughs to be had in the petrol station kiosk with the inevitable "you're not from around here" moment when I went to pay for my fuel. My East Anglian drawl must sound right odd to Hampshire ears. :laugh:

Visited Paul's grave, had a very nice walk despite the drizzle and fading light, and encountered the same two winos on the exact same bench as on my last trip down. I think they were smoking weed judging by the smell...

Have had a quiet day today. Done some databasing and set some rat traps. Managed to twang my hand in one of the traps - that'll learn me to try and bait the thing while the mechanism is cocked.

Spent the evening listening to the football on the radio. Arsenal have just beaten Nottingham Forest.
That's what @depfordmarmoset were doing in the area!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Oh, a question for @Jenkins as this is more his patch than mine. I have to drive to Denham (Eye) on Thursday, and wondering what's the best way to go about it.

Options are either via Thetford (A11) or Newmarket (A142). I'm thinking the latter, if only to avoid the A1101.

My choice would be head to Ely, down the A142 to Newmarket, A14 & A11 to Thetford and A1066 to Diss, then whichever scenic route you fancy to Denham. Is it wrong that once you get to Diss I only know the cyclable back roads in that area?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Birthday Sunday 74 years young.I get to choose where i am eating.So Headingley Pizza Express and one Thin and Crispy, Burnt Ends Pizza it is superb.
I'm 15 years and 4 days behind you and will be heading to Sheffield for my birthday. Don't yet know where I'll be eating, but the evening will be spent at The Octagon watching Bombay Bicycle Club and having a few drinks. My niece (who is studying alcohol chemistry at the University) has threatened to join me for lunch, but I don't think I can afford the drinks bill if she does.

My choice would be head to Ely, down the A142 to Newmarket, A14 & A11 to Thetford and A1066 to Diss, then whichever scenic route you fancy to Denham. Is it wrong that once you get to Diss I only know the cyclable back roads in that area?

Ta for that. Sounds much better than the A1101 to Mildenhall via Shippea Hill in order to pick up the A11. I'll leave the last part of the journey to the sat nav.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It was my mum's funeral service this morning.

Went well, then didn't.

Put simply, it's not very often a Rolls-Royce pulls up outside Accident & Emergency, suit-clad individuals get out and one clocks in for medical treatment.

My Dad had a fall after the internment and landed on his face. He'd been fine, then wasn't when he slipped on a damp surface. All OK now hopefully after he had been patched up by very kind staff in one of Nottingham's walk-in A&E departments. The undertaker was brilliant as well, and then checked up on him later in the evening. SWMBO's staying down there overnight just in case, but he seems OK.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
It was my mum's funeral service this morning.

Went well, then didn't.

Put simply, it's not very often a Rolls-Royce pulls up outside Accident & Emergency and suit-clad individuals get out and one clocks in for medical treatment.

My Dad had a fall after the internment and landed on his face. He'd been fine, then wasn't when he slipped on a damp surface. All OK now hopefully after he had been patched up by very kind staff in one of Nottingham's walk-in A&E departments. The undertaker was brilliant as well, and then checked up on him later in the evening. SWMBO's staying down there overnight just in case, but he seems OK.
Hopefully he'll be okay. Sore but otherwise unhurt.

Top Bottom