Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Maybe true but it's a sad fact the road accident rate always shoots up with putting the clocks back. Not sure the reasoning that it benefits farmers stands up any longer given how many carry out farm work in the dark evenings, farm yards floodlit and powerful lights on tractors.

It’s a totally outdated idea originally put forward in 1784 by Benjamin Franklin. To save on candles. We’ve William Willett to thank for putting the idea forward over here in 1907 in his work “The Waste of Daylight”. Who has it happens is related to the lead singer of Coldplay. Nothing happened till Germany started it in 1916 then we followed. Time it went polls show people are in favour of ending it. Not only is it link to increase accidents, ROSPA links it’s to around 70 extra deaths We now know the medical effects of messing around with our body clocks. So it has knock effect on general health. Heart attack rates also go up.

Gwylan

Veteran
But this time the sugar has got worse.
Cut down on chocolate biscuits then

Turns out to be a bit more serious, but not dramatic.
Manage diet they say.
Don't actually know quite where my sugar comes from.
Who put salami in the frame?

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe true but it's a sad fact the road accident rate always shoots up with putting the clocks back. Not sure the reasoning that it benefits farmers stands up any longer given how many carry out farm work in the dark evenings, farm yards floodlit and powerful lights on tractors.
Daylight today is 4 minutes shorter than yesterday, and tomorrow will be shorter by approximately one whole second.

Sadly the whole thing involves people.
Clocks are inanimate objects that merely offer an indication of an agreed convention for measuring the passage of time.

I can see that, but there isn't an sudden spike in plane, rail, or canal boat fatalities when clocks change.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I don’t really see the point in changing clocks. We still get the same amount of daylight regardless.
If I start of in daylight which in winter is unlikely I still come home after dark. I do not like driving after dark nowadays and there are extra hazards here such as red deer wandering about on the roadway or suddenly jumping out from a hidden bit.
My younger son commuted 30 each way miles daily and in winter it was always in the dark. He seemed to be a deer magnet and hit several every winter. He ran an old van which was disposable but we always managed to straighten it out.
As an irrelevant aside he hit one on a motorway somewhere around Birmingham while commuting from Ipswich to Oban. His work pickup just tossed it on to the opposing carraigeway.

tyred

Legendary Member
I decided to give my Brompton it's long overdue overhaul so now have nice new bottom bracket, chain, jockey wheels and sprocket. It rides so much smoother now and clunk from the bottom bracket is gone.

It's always nice to do something and see the improvement but I will wait until I'm properly better before going for a proper ride as although I feel a lot better, there is still a lot of mucus. I do not want a repeat!
IMG_20231028_172910.jpg

It won't ever look so clean again! I regret not cleaning and painting the rear triangle as it could have done with it but maybe another time.

I bought it second hand and have put up about 9,000 miles so got my money's worth out of the components. I wonder how much it would cost to travel 9,000 miles in a Tesla.. 🤔

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Just been looking at the latest report from our Ferry Committee.
The current ferry service is a shambles. There are vehicles currently left behind on nearly every sailing and even foot passengers are having difficulty tho’ none have been reported as being excluded so long as they do not mind standing the whole way.
The one boat on is too small and the touroid seem to never end pouring in.
There is a Medical Emergency system which is of limited value for getting to and from medical appointments on the mainland if ferries are fully booked. Unfortunately the call centre staff do not seem aware of this system and it is getting impossible to phone local offices who do know.
If a boat breaks down Calmac are obliged to pay overnight accommodation costs. This however is limited to £70 and in one case in Oban the people had to pay £300 for one night. The ferry committee is pretty active and persuaded Calmac to cough up the whole cost in this case.
Good job they are a militant lot and I would be on it as well but age related health limits my activities.

Edit. Since I posted the above I checked text messages and the 1700 hrs ferry is fully booked with cars and no more foot passengers are being accepted for travel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom