Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning all, a damp start here.
In better news my good wife has just deployed her considerable techie skills to get my email working. Been without it since yesterday morning when it suddenly stopped for no reason that either of us can understand. Getting it working again has taken her several hours of faff. It’s annoying partly because it highlights just how dependent we are on email for everyday life, including important legal and financial stuff.
Next on the agenda is a trip to a LBS to get my Ultegra cranks looked at under the belated and half baked Shimano ‘inspection recall’.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dry but overcast this morning.
Today's excitement is going to get my bloods done and if I remember pick up some hearing aid batteries from the surgery.

A long established shop here has returned to the management of the original owners who are putting a lot of cash into better stock then ever before. They now announce they have all sorts of things in stock which you previously had to go online or have a trip to Oban for. The latest is washing machines and all sorts of electrical appliances.
At one time you could get virtually anything you needed in Tobermory until that generation died off and nobody took their place until now. The secret in the past was finding where to go and who to see as a lot of businesses were not very obvious. If you wanted a new telly for example you went to the sweetie shop and asked for Calum who was the brother of the proprietor.
Now you just go to the ironmonger but the secret is finding somewhere to park anywhere nearby.

classic33

Leg End Member
Good morning.

What gives you that idea?
Oooh, I don't know, just summat you said

postman

Squire
A real Postman has just been now this system is all foo k ed.Today 11-30 a couple of days ago 17-10 ,the postal service has been ruined since privatisation.Anyway that's not the reason i am posting.The letter which arrived has come from our Health Centre.It's sodding beautiful.One of the Doctors has has written to say they now have heard from a Consultant at the hospital about my diagnosis.The care in this letter is outstanding,i am a little weepy to be quite honest it's lovely.I feel superb in myself full of energy and a great appetite.All is well.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Dry but overcast this morning.
Today's excitement is going to get my bloods done and if I remember pick up some hearing aid batteries from the surgery.

A long established shop here has returned to the management of the original owners who are putting a lot of cash into better stock then ever before. They now announce they have all sorts of things in stock which you previously had to go online or have a trip to Oban for. The latest is washing machines and all sorts of electrical appliances.
At one time you could get virtually anything you needed in Tobermory until that generation died off and nobody took their place until now. The secret in the past was finding where to go and who to see as a lot of businesses were not very obvious. If you wanted a new telly for example you went to the sweetie shop and asked for Calum who was the brother of the proprietor.
Now you just go to the ironmonger but the secret is finding somewhere to park anywhere nearby.

Could it be down to delivery costs, a lot of 'mainstream' logistics firms are very reluctant to deliver to the Highlands and Islands and the ones that do seem to be prohibitively expensive whereas a van loaded with a bunch of stuff can reduce these costs to a reasonable level by splitting the cost across multiple items.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Could it be down to delivery costs, a lot of 'mainstream' logistics firms are very reluctant to deliver to the Highlands and Islands and the ones that do seem to be prohibitively expensive whereas a van loaded with a bunch of stuff can reduce these costs to a reasonable level by splitting the cost across multiple items.

Could be the case right enough.
The Hydro Board had a shop here and you could often just pick up whatever you wanted within reason. Anything not in stock could be ordered with a small delivery charge.
The Hydro as it was commonly known has been swallowed up by OVO now though they still have a shop in Oban.
So far as domestic deliveries are concerned it is not all bad. Argos give free delivery and I got a new freezer and washing machine recently. Delivery strangely is by a building supplies company with a depot here and in Oban so their lorries presumably have empty space when coming over.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Thank you, I will try that. There is something called Maps. Not sure how that fits in a tiny phone, and anyway, I prefer paper maps.

FWIW, I just disconnected my phone from all wireless sources & the maps only covers a small area. Most of the time you are downloading map data from the network.

Do you only want to make more room on the phone?
What model is it & does it have a SD card. With some phones you can transfer programmes to the SD to save main memory.

Top Bottom