Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a lovely picnic with my bestie this afternoon in a nice spot overlooking the village of Laxton, though we didn't have as much time to sit and gas and :cuppa: as we would have liked as his business dealings in Gretton overran by a couple of hours and, in spite of that, did not go well. He left the seller's place empty-handed, which was all a bit galling considering he'd driven three and a bit hours each way in order to purchase this particular collection of automobilia.

We were lucky with the weather though - it was mostly sunny, but with a chilly breeze. Mind, using the cars as a windbreak worked really well. Other than a brief moment on the way over, I escaped the rain entirely. Must've hosed it down though, as the puddles were big. And hiding the potholes.

Colin was great on a long drive - so much easier to drive than my old Fabia, especially when it comes to comfort, handling and acceleration. Cruising at 70mph on the A14 in 6th gear, the engine's only pulling 2400 rpm. Stand on the loud pedal in second gear, and you get snapped back in your seat. Worked out at 55 mpg for the round trip, but I did spend a fair bit of time in traffic; approach to Stanion on the A6116 on the way out, and crawling in 1st gear all the way from Waterbeach to Ely on the way home.

The new 3-lane section of the A14 between Cambridge and Huntington is very efficient, but rather boring compared to the old road. At least most of the local traffic has been diverted elsewhere, so even at peak hours on a weekday, the traffic was free-flowing.

Just going to chill for the rest of the evening.

classic33

Leg End Member
I must try doing my laundry with smoked fish.
Would that depend on the smoked fish being the cheaper option?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally the cheap advance rail tickets for a trip to Nottingham in November have finally been made available. The standard off peak return (out Sunday, back Monday) was £51. By doing a home - Peterborough (with rail card) and Peterborough - Nottingham split I got it down to £48. But due to yet another special offer from Greater Anglia, it was even cheaper to buy a home - Peterborough - home day return on Sunday & the reverse return on Monday at £10 each day (only using the outward leg) plus the Peterborough - Nottingham return for a total of £41 :hyper:
I just wish they'd make ticketing simpler.

Nah the German BMW V12 is a lorry engine compared to what the British Cosworth engine is, why do you think Gordon commissioned it from them when he had access to the engine he fitted into the McLaren when he designed that. Getting Cosworth to design and manufacture a very limited production run of engines was far more expensive though but a very similar version is being fitted to the new G30 albeit with slightly less power and revs but better torque
It may have been a lorry engine in comparison, but the sound...

Not really 'road legal' though.

On another note I've never heard anything like my former next door neighbours Impreza, it was louder at tickover than when it was revving, I reckon it was due to the Turbocharger not spooling up yet, as soon as the revs went up it sort of went 'whoosh' but at idle it used to rattle the windows and of course it did the normal 'Scooby' trick of continuing to run until the engine thought it was cool enough to stop so he could get out, lock the car, go indoors whilst it sat there throbbing away to itself til the engine stopped and then the 'beep' as the alarm set itself.

Who said *anything* about road legal! :crazy:

If it's anything like the BMW based V12 that powered the original McLaren F1 then 😍😍😍

Or to drive the boy racers away, I'd suggest a Porsche 911 GT2 spec from the late 90's as it's one of the few engine noises I found painfully unpleasant on the ears.

Ah yes... I remember those. Calum Lockie raced one in the British GT back in 2001. I remember it had a turquoise paint job.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Although I will state that red hots are also available in the Midwest, although I have only personally seen them in Bloomington-Normal, and in Maine. Cocktail sausages (weiners) are ubiquitous, however.

Ripple

Veteran
I have almost no sense of smell so when I was working in a warehouse loading fridge - freezer lorries I would normally load all stinky ones (lorries). Especially the ones that previously had a load of fish or simply haven't been washed for ages ... or both. For me the smell used to be "yeah well it smells a bit of a fish/rubbish" while other guys normally were retching or plainly refused even to go near it. ^_^ I didn't mind it at all because that meant I would have less lorries to load because others would load more for my sacrifice. Others also were more than happy to avoid spending time inside these temples of stench.

I have almost no sense of smell so when I was working in a warehouse loading fridge - freezer lorries I would normally load all stinky ones (lorries). Especially the ones that previously had a load of fish or simply haven't been washed for ages ... or both. For me the smell used to be "yeah well it smells a bit of a fish/rubbish" while other guys normally were retching or plainly refused even to go near it. ^_^ I didn't mind it at all because that meant I would have less lorries to load because others would load more for my sacrifice. Others also were more than happy to avoid spending time inside these temples of stench.

Which reminds me of this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_0x3_tM3s

Top Bottom