Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The wind and torrential rain continues.
Wait while the last throes of summer throw themselves at you.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
The old varieties are a practical lesson in culinary history as well. It's just brilliant to be able to taste varieties of fruit that were popular close to two hundred years ago. The dessert varieties are definitely nowhere near as sweet as the modern ones, but the flavours largely have a much greater depth and complexity. A New Rock Pippin really does taste like pineapple... Pineapple was ridiculously expensive back then, and people used to hire them as a table centrepiece at dinner parties!

I love my Bramley and the apples it produces are fabulous, but the community orchard has given me the chance to explore other cooking varieties. Some of which are actually better than a Bramley. Especially the Murfitt's Seedling, which is a variety I'd really recommend if someone was looking for an alternative to grow.

The best supermarket apples are usually found being sold as wonky apples. Variety is pot luck, most are ones you've never heard of, and some don't even have a "proper" name.

We've an apple tree in our garden, no idea of the variety, actually managed to get some fruit off it this year, usually the birds peck a hole in each fruit & they go rotten.

IMG_0313.jpg

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Using a sat nav for navigation around Milton Keynes - at what point does the "enter the roundabout and take the (whatever) exit" instruction become more than mildy irritating?

Never used a satnav here, so I wonder what instructions it gives:

1695641132096.png

Mike_P

Guru
A sunny morning and given the forecast for the week out in the car on this weeks necessary work visits. Only saw a couple of cyclists until crawling along the A61 on the upward drag to Bishop Monkton motor and realised the cause was not an agricultural vehicle but a small peleton. A reason I avoid cycling on that road in that direction.
Once home car got treated to a wash for the first time in months. MOT on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom