Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
This afternoon I went on a brief ride and, as I've been living in the area for 25 years but haven't visited, climbed up to Castle Hill near Huddersfield :heat: . My overall view was 'decidly unimpressed'. Particularly as I'd got to it via the steepest route.

But ... someone had clearly been throwing coins off the top. I found 21p, a pair of glasses (left on the wall nearby) and this odd coin:

View attachment 707638

View attachment 707639

Any clues? - solved below by two CC'ers. Unfortunately it wasn't worth much.
It's less than five years old.

You still have the glasses, or did a bit of bartering take place.

simongt

Guru
Just booked three nights in an AirBnB 'Shepherd's Hut'; out in the sticks, with the two main attractions being 'Entertainment - Books & Reading Material' and 'No TV'. :okay:
Ahh, bliss - ! ^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's less than five years old.

You still have the glasses, or did a bit of bartering take place.

I left the glasses on a stone wall rather than the parking area as they would get squashed. At least that bit was altruistic since they appeared to be an expensive pair.

Oh, and rather than roll into work just after lunch-time for an evening class I've realised I'm booked solid from 10am onwards. That means the work-related things I had planned for tomorrow morning need to be done tonight instead. It'll be a 7am start instead with a 7pm finish for my 'first day back' officially :blink:

classic33

Leg End Member
I left the glasses on a stone wall rather than the parking area as they would get squashed. At least that bit was altruistic since they appeared to be an expensive pair.

Oh, and rather than roll into work just after lunch-time for an evening class I've realised I'm booked solid from 10am onwards. That means the work-related things I had planned for tomorrow morning need to be done tonight instead. It'll be a 7am start instead with a 7pm finish for my 'first day back' officially :blink:
Twelve hour first day back. At least you'll remember it.

For those who know about these things, @Reynard in particular, how big are rats?

Bob caught something yesterday evening. The victim is usually a tiny mouse. Last night's catch was large. How big is the biggest mouse and how small is the smallest rat? I would say it was a rat. The body was about five inches long (and very fat) not including the tail, which was another four inches long.

There is a massive field at the end of my garden, and a very wild overgrown area about thirty yards away. I am not surprised that there are rats there, but this is first time he has caught a large one.

The carcase was moved from the back door step to the edge of the field. A fox, snake, or a raven might have had an unexpected snack last night.

Georgie caught 2 of those . I think his were young rats . As you say they are a bit in between. If they were grey then I would have easily identified them but they were black .

It's been a mild and largely overcast day here chez Casa Reynard.

Didn't sleep terribly well (still rather sore after climbing in those trees yesterday) and have spent the day in front of the TV mostly watching the BTCC meeting from Silverstone. I reckon @Jenkins had a right treat served up to him.

Also listened to Arsenal v Spurs and watched a bunch of blokes in tight shorts play with funny shaped balls. Am about to settle down to watch MOTD.

Had fish & chips for supper.

Very true we've so many old varieties that need more love and attention. Raymond Blanc has become a bit of vocal advocate about them inc his own Orchard full of "lost" varieties.
Given our love for the Bramley it's hard to think that it simple would not make it now into commercial production failing at the growing trial stage.

The old varieties are a practical lesson in culinary history as well. It's just brilliant to be able to taste varieties of fruit that were popular close to two hundred years ago. The dessert varieties are definitely nowhere near as sweet as the modern ones, but the flavours largely have a much greater depth and complexity. A New Rock Pippin really does taste like pineapple... Pineapple was ridiculously expensive back then, and people used to hire them as a table centrepiece at dinner parties!

I love my Bramley and the apples it produces are fabulous, but the community orchard has given me the chance to explore other cooking varieties. Some of which are actually better than a Bramley. Especially the Murfitt's Seedling, which is a variety I'd really recommend if someone was looking for an alternative to grow.

The best supermarket apples are usually found being sold as wonky apples. Variety is pot luck, most are ones you've never heard of, and some don't even have a "proper" name.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
1000030845.jpg

<DOH> 2 Kilometres short of 1¼ million!!

For those who know about these things, @Reynard in particular, how big are rats?

Bob caught something yesterday evening. The victim is usually a tiny mouse. Last night's catch was large. How big is the biggest mouse and how small is the smallest rat? I would say it was a rat. The body was about five inches long (and very fat) not including the tail, which was another four inches long.

There is a massive field at the end of my garden, and a very wild overgrown area about thirty yards away. I am not surprised that there are rats there, but this is first time he has caught a large one.

The carcase was moved from the back door step to the edge of the field. A fox, snake, or a raven might have had an unexpected snack last night.

Could be a field vole, although 5 inches on the body is at the very extreme of the size range, or it could be a juvenile rat. Rats have a much "squarer" head and a nekkid tail.

Going by the size and on what I tend to get gifted with, I'd probably swing for the latter rather than the former.

Top Bottom