Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
For those who know about these things, @Reynard in particular, how big are rats?

Bob caught something yesterday evening. The victim is usually a tiny mouse. Last night's catch was large. How big is the biggest mouse and how small is the smallest rat? I would say it was a rat. The body was about five inches long (and very fat) not including the tail, which was another four inches long.

There is a massive field at the end of my garden, and a very wild overgrown area about thirty yards away. I am not surprised that there are rats there, but this is first time he has caught a large one.

The carcase was moved from the back door step to the edge of the field. A fox, snake, or a raven might have had an unexpected snack last night.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Walked to the corner shop to drop off a bag of coffee machine pods for recycling and then onto Aldi. Definitely no Merino wool base layers. The price tag was with the others. Whatever they had on originally probably sold out on Thursday morning. Drizzle set so once again arrived home with damp jeans.

Aldi and Lidl seem to advertise things like the merino wool base layer but they are not available in all stores. I remember they advertised something I wanted and I was on the doorstep on the day they were supposed to come on sale. Nothing there and the staff admitted they were not getting any and some things are only in a limited number of stores.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@Jenkins Give me a wave on the A14 this afternoon/evening.. I'm in Felixstowe now & heading for the cranes on t'other side of the estuary in an hour, then back to Stives, Cambs.

👋 👋 👋

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For those who know about these things, @Reynard in particular, how big are rats?

Bob caught something yesterday evening. The victim is usually a tiny mouse. Last night's catch was large. How big is the biggest mouse and how small is the smallest rat? I would say it was a rat. The body was about five inches long (and very fat) not including the tail, which was another four inches long.

There is a massive field at the end of my garden, and a very wild overgrown area about thirty yards away. I am not surprised that there are rats there, but this is first time he has caught a large one.

The carcase was moved from the back door step to the edge of the field. A fox, snake, or a raven might have had an unexpected snack last night.

Sounds like a 'Field Vole' to me. I may be wrong though.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I would tend to think a rat but I would really need to see it before making a more positive ID. In the past I had a lot of experience with rats being involved in farming and then grain industries. They have to my mind a distinctive appearance with small ears and a naked tail but usually larger than your one. Their movements are also recognisable but that is something you would not have seen.
I hope you did not pick it up without hand protection tho' the level of danger from contact is more urban.

Just finished and e-mailed off my pre interview task think i've covered what they asked for. It's hard to really know given the wording of it.
Anyhow i've not included anything I can't talk about or round if they do use for interview questions.
Soon find out in few days what they make of it.

I'm very glad those "interview techniques" aren't popular here.

Top Bottom