Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Hello from Silverstone - eventually.

Turns out it's a full weekend closure from Northampton to Towcester, not just down to one lane as it has been. I took a punt on this and went across country to Milton Keynes and then the A421 & A5 to Towcester. Two and a half hours to do what normally takes just over two.

Weather's dry & warm and I'm currently at Maggots waiting for the 2nd practice for the Touring Cars.

At least you got there now enjoy it

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I was a volunteer steward at the culture

View attachment 707486 night events in the local park. Very impressed with the chock applied to a 40' trailer that the band were playing in.

I'm sure the health and safety man would approve...

Tread on that tire is pretty sketchy as well.

pawl

Legendary Member
Sunny day with light wind so probably out on trike later.
Hand wash done and waiting to go out to dry. This only takes about half an hour to do so long as there is plenty hot water and a spin dryer.
Waiting on the plumber who is going to check the washing machine pipework in case it has been kinked which could have caused to pump failure. Will he admit it if that is the case tho'?
GP said he would chase up my prospective heart valve replacement. I have some trepidation about the whole thing.
If not replaced it will kill me and if replaced I reckon I have a 50% chance of surviving the procedure.

I had my aortic valve and bypass replaced .I was 75 .The procedure was carried out at the Glenfield heart unit in Leicester.The Consultant explained the procedure in detail showing me the replacement valve that would be used and what was not functioning correctly There are four flaps which act like a non return valve one of the flaps was not opening restricting blood flow..
I was admitted on a Thursday and discharged five days later.
It was eleven weeks before I was give the all clear to commence cycling or any activity that would put any strain on the Sternum I was allowed to use the turbo with no restrictions on heart rate

Working within the NHS I have had contact with several patients older than me who have undergone major heart surgery and. Naturally they were concerned pre op.but had no regrets about the procedure Mrs p was more concerned than I was..
Good luck.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I just went for my covid jab and got a flu jab thrown in into the bargain. I'll be trying to sleep on my back tonight. The vaccinator said I was tensing my muscles up for the covid jab. I said it was a blunt needle. For the flu jab I ended up in a different room but nevertheless got the same vaccinator. Her opinion this time about the other shoulder was that I had thick skin. I promised to soak in the bath before the next vaccination. Her colleague recommended bathing in milk.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Me too. Early /mid 1960s, RAF family in quarters, most young people now would baulk at the lack of aids around the house. I remember a wringer ( a mangle ? ), having 'baths' in the sink, even an outside loo, plus a coke boiler in the kitchen that would strip your skin off if you touched it.
RAF ( and probably all military) houses back then we're cold holes, very basic.

Remember my mother had a Hotpoint twin tub. We also had a coke boiler, on which I used to melt air rifle pellets in milk bottle tops. Yes, those boilers got pretty hot.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Just had to throw a mouldy orange away

All oranges are mouldy.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had my aortic valve and bypass replaced .I was 75 .The procedure was carried out at the Glenfield heart unit in Leicester.The Consultant explained the procedure in detail showing me the replacement valve that would be used and what was not functioning correctly There are four flaps which act like a non return valve one of the flaps was not opening restricting blood flow..
I was admitted on a Thursday and discharged five days later.
It was eleven weeks before I was give the all clear to commence cycling or any activity that would put any strain on the Sternum I was allowed to use the turbo with no restrictions on heart rate

Working within the NHS I have had contact with several patients older than me who have undergone major heart surgery and. Naturally they were concerned pre op.but had no regrets about the procedure Mrs p was more concerned than I was..
Good luck.

Thanks for that, I presume it was the TCAVR you had.
The success rate is given as 85% but the main fatalities are the elderly so the odds are a bit different as you get older.
I am unfortunately no stranger to surgery so that side of things does not bother me too much.The consultant I saw a few months ago said he doubted I would survive open heart surgery but the alternative valve replacement would be no problem.
This would take place at the QE hospital in Glasgow which is a major centre for such things.

tom73

Guru
I just went for my covid jab and got a flu jab thrown in into the bargain. I'll be trying to sleep on my back tonight. The vaccinator said I was tensing my muscles up for the covid jab. I said it was a blunt needle. For the flu jab I ended up in a different room but nevertheless got the same vaccinator. Her opinion this time about the other shoulder was that I had thick skin. I promised to soak in the bath before the next vaccination. Her colleague recommended bathing in milk.

A blunt needle is possible if the same one was used to draw up the vaccine and to give it. Best practice is to change the needle in case.
Not an issue with the Flu one as it's pre-filled.

Top Bottom