Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Hercules and I are off an adventure.
It's sunny and warm.

After busy, for us, cycling days I need proper cycling shorts. TMI
Hercules gets the tyres checked.
"To the road my beauty"

someone's pup wandered past our home last night about 10pm. just saw the video & called it in to our local popo. sent them the pic & video, as well. hopefully it found it's way back to it's own home
wandering collie 10pm 9-4-23.jpg

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Getting warm here in Numptonshire
Why do people advertise things and then never reply to your enquiries

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Rishi is quite right saying 'not my fault gov' to this schools concrete problem
Professional engineering concern was raised in 1995 about the structural performance of RAAC following inspections of cracked units in school roofs
That would be John Major's watch.
The much vaunted prefab schools from a few years back are also falling apart.
What a shower!

We do seem to have a constant stream of building material failures, HAC, cladding & now RAAC. I was watching a video of someone complaining about the quality of bricks, how they were not consistent in size.

mybike

When I returned home I heard loud shouts of "NO, NO". A neighbour has a teenage {in dog years} labrador and it is continually trying to dig it's way out of their garden as well as other bits of mischief. It looks at me with a sort of sad expression when I go past.

Among those we meet on our morning walks is a lady with two black labs. They always have a sad expression, as if they've been forced to come of a route march. Cassie has the knack of obtaining a treat from their owner, which means they're always pleased to see her as they get one as well.

mybike

To be fair, RAAC should never have been used for load-bearing applications full stop. Trouble with any public works, is it tends to get done by the lowest bidder - with predictable consequences when it comes to materials and corners being cut.

That, alas, is not new. It's what you get when the bean counters have control over projects that they have no practical knowledge or experience of. Which means they don't know how to ask the right questions and get swayed by cheap "wonder materials".

Anyone with half a brain can see that this stuff is an accident waiting to happen. Water gets into the stuff, and it then freezes during cold snaps. Water expands as it freezes, so this expansion will cause the thin walls of the cells to split. Not straight away, but over many cycles of freeze, thaw, freeze, it will cause cracks to propagate through what it a very brittle material anyway. And all the while, there's more water getting in as the structure begins to accumulate damage. It won't be a linear progression either, more like an exponential one - a slow burn, and then whoops... And that's without considering the inevitable corrosion of any reinforcing rods inside the structure.

Same difference going on with the fireproof cladding on buildings that isn't actually fireproof.

I was reading that while it was used in places that were not subject to load, such as roofs, it wasn't easy to tell from normal concrete with the result that it was used for storage or for the mounting of such as A/C equipment. I wouldn't have thought it a good choice for external use anyway.

Top Bottom