Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Where did you park up?

I hate the clock watching if I use the park & ride or take the bike on the train, so been looking at leaving the car at Cambridge North station and cycling in from there.

The last time I took the bike in the car to Cambridge, I left the car in the Tescos superstore just south of the Cam and cycled in from there. It's free for 3 hours.
My Modus Operandi for getting into Cambridge is via the St Ives Guided Busway.
I usually park in St Ives and ride into Cambridge. I now usually fold the Brommie up & take the bus back.
I don't know how much the car parks along the Busway are but St Ives is free.

Soup and bread & butter for supper.

Fair enough but from what I remember it didn't mean driving through, just to and a bit. In from the east, continued east along the river to the city centre on the bike.

For me it does, because I'm coming from the north i.e. via Milton. Which also means no guided busway option either.

OK, there's the big Tesco at Milton alongside the A14, but tbh, 3 hours free parking doesn't hack it when a girl wants to spend the day doing some retail therapy in town. :blush:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Where did you park up?

I hate the clock watching if I use the park & ride or take the bike on the train, so been looking at leaving the car at Cambridge North station and cycling in from there.
As I come in from the east, I park up at the Newmarket Road Park & Ride site (where the Ice Arena is), but I have used the one on Madingly Road when going to Storey's Field Centre for a gig.
Big bike, little bike.jpg

As with ALL the P&R sites in Cambridge, you get up to 18 hours of free parking and only pay to use the bus into the city so no worries about clock watching - Milton would probably be the nearest for you.

Mike_P

Guru
Ebiked to the nearest Lidl, for once achieving the necessary left turn on, immediate right turn off, the A59 non stop. Opened the rucksack at the till and found the base lined with a lot of the four seed mix I had bought from Aldi on Sunday! Suitably emptied once home and as its a day in the office tomorrow, risked leaving the battery on the ebike, think tonight it's safe from cold temperatures.

As with ALL the P&R sites in Cambridge, you get up to 18 hours of free parking and only pay to use the bus into the city so no worries about clock watching - Milton would probably be the nearest for you.

Yes, Milton is the nearest one to me, and I've used it loads of times for the P&R. Used to be at Cowley Road before, which is now (near enough) where Cambridge North station is.

However, the Milton P&R is on the Ely side of the A14, and there doesn't appear to be a safe cycle route from the P&R site into town. All the info I can find about cycling infrastructure in the area is either out of date, very vague or involves a stretch of the A10, which I will not use on a bicycle.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yes, Milton is the nearest one to me, and I've used it loads of times for the P&R. Used to be at Cowley Road before, which is now (near enough) where Cambridge North station is.

However, the Milton P&R is on the Ely side of the A14, and there doesn't appear to be a safe cycle route from the P&R site into town. All the info I can find about cycling infrastructure in the area is either out of date, very vague or involves a stretch of the A10, which I will not use on a bicycle.

The good news is that the Milton Road into Cambridge (A10) down from the A14 was recently rebuilt for a large part with the cycling facilities enlarged/improved including a separate cycle/pedestrian shared space instead of the white line on the road.- Streetview is out of date what it is now. The main problem appears to be getting from the P&R over the A14 roundabout and to the new section.

If this good weather continues, I may have another day out on Thursday. Can't do anything on Friday as I have an eye re-test. The VDU glasses I was prescribed are blurred at my sitting distance from the screen. Mostly my fault as I estimated the distance to be arms length, but it turns out to be arms length plus a foot :laugh:

The main problem appears to be getting from the P&R over the A14 roundabout and to the new section.

Yep, this is the exact bit that's the problem. You'd think they'd have thunk that one out, but obviously not. Weird really, as the P&R itself has some pretty decent provision for cycle parking.

If this good weather continues, I may have another day out on Thursday. Can't do anything on Friday as I have an eye re-test. The VDU glasses I was prescribed are blurred at my sitting distance from the screen. Mostly my fault as I estimated the distance to be arms length, but it turns out to be arms length plus a foot :laugh:

Whoopssssss! :laugh:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Lovely day, today. 7 or 8 miles over to collect grandson so we could pedal the 5 miles back so he could help me sort the garden out..

1000028275.jpg

Lots of weeding & watering of pots & picking of tomatoes and beans deserve another few miles to Gallones head office & Ice Cream factory for a treat (plus £5 pay, too!)

1000028311.jpg

Smashin' time 😍

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm really looking forward to the 'developmental' event for work tomorrow - NOT. As it's being held away from work and smart/casual clothing, there's no facilities for me to have a decent long ride in and then change as I would do for a normal working day. The only good part is a slightly later start than normal and the CoOp is across the road so I can get the week's shopping on the way in. if I use the ebike & panniers.

I can also see me going out during the first coffee or lunch break and not returning...

Top Bottom