Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Off to son no. 2's student house in Nottingham to work on the garden; shopping trolleys to be cleared of rubbish, patio to be cleared with the outdoor table & chair set I bid & won via eBay by mistake going onto that. Then compost bin to build, partly so I don't have to put brambles into my car, water butt that's there filled with unknown stuff to empty (will be careful of sharps) and a lid to fashion, brambles to cut back as far as I can. Front garden to weed.

The aim is so it doesn't *look* like a typical student house on the outside and to give them a space outside that's usable rather than being a rubbish pile. Others will be working on the inside shortly.

Note that the location's great, the rental price good but it needs tidying. Son no. 2 found the house and did the contract stuff on behalf of the others so I feel a little responsibility to help here.

After that I'm visiting my mum who's still in hospital in Nottingham.

'Tis wet and windy but I still walked to the supermarket.

There's a dent in one of my tins of beans I see. I seem to have a recollection of supermarkets selling of damaged tins on the cheap when I was young. Why is that no longer a thing?🤔

Probably because they finally twigged that naughty boys ( l of course don't include myself ) would pick up two tins and knock one against the other and put a sizeable dent in at least one of them. These were almost always Heinz beans , and if we were really lucky we would acquire an out of date sliced white loaf (ugh) . Im sure you have guessed what came next ....a small bonfire and a heap of very hot ashes into which we shoved the bean can having first made a small hole in its top .....need l tell you why that was done ? Then toast the bread on the end of a green stick and "bobs your uncle" , beans on toast !

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Damp sort of day and a bit unsure of what weather is coming today.
A bit wet for weed clearing beside my front path so probably an idle day with a walk.

On the subject of self service tills we once shut down all the tills in an Asda store in Aberdeen a few years ago.
Lidl in Oban encourages use of them but I just ask a staff member to get a till opened and they oblige. If they will not open a till then I am prepared to abandon a trolley load and walk off as I never have been able to get the self service ones to work properly and I have a ferry timetable to watch.
It would seem a lot of people do not like the self service system as when I get a till opened a queue forms immediately behind me.

Damp sort of day and a bit unsure of what weather is coming today.
A bit wet for weed clearing beside my front path so probably an idle day with a walk.

On the subject of self service tills we once shut down all the tills in an Asda store in Aberdeen a few years ago.
Lidl in Oban encourages use of them but I just ask a staff member to get a till opened and they oblige. If they will not open a till then I am prepared to abandon a trolley load and walk off as I never have been able to get the self service ones to work properly and I have a ferry timetable to watch.
It would seem a lot of people do not like the self service system as when I get a till opened a queue forms immediately behind me.

I think a lot more people should fill up several trollies and leave them abandoned and walk out !

I've been tredge himming !

Our hedge is sloping nicely now ! :whistle:

one of our Photogs lost her husband last week. heart attack. sudden & unexpected. he was taking his meds & recently saw his doc. he was a fireman & had had a multi bypass some years ago & was a big man. fireman came to the wake is 3s & performed a kind of ritual salute type thing. I got all this info 2nd hand. I am not close to her, just casual chat when she works studio shifts. they have 3 adult children. a work friend who attended the wake said she is consumed with questions about what to do regarding so many loose ends

I can relate after my elderly Dad passed last summer. but my Mom had a head start because Dad had been declining for years so she was used to handling everything

got a partner? love 'em while we got 'em, eh?

Off to son no. 2's student house in Nottingham to work on the garden; shopping trolleys to be cleared of rubbish, patio to be cleared with the outdoor table & chair set I bid & won via eBay by mistake going onto that. Then compost bin to build, partly so I don't have to put brambles into my car, water butt that's there filled with unknown stuff to empty (will be careful of sharps) and a lid to fashion, brambles to cut back as far as I can. Front garden to weed.

The aim is so it doesn't *look* like a typical student house on the outside and to give them a space outside that's usable rather than being a rubbish pile. Others will be working on the inside shortly.

Note that the location's great, the rental price good but it needs tidying. Son no. 2 found the house and did the contract stuff on behalf of the others so I feel a little responsibility to help here.

After that I'm visiting my mum who's still in hospital in Nottingham.

good man, good Father & Son. good thing you're young & fit, eh?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
On the subject of supermarkets, I have not graced one with my presence since 2006!

The noise, over-bright lighting, and people barging into me all caused me to feel dizzy and wobbly. I only wanted a few items, but could find any of them. As I was carrying a basket, not pushing a trolley, I somehow gained a cloak of invisibility.

Fortunately there are so many small independent food shops, that it is not a problem to avoid large busy shops.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Have just been reading that the Lionesses have arrived back in England but left the airport by a private exit by passing fans waiting to welcome them home..There may be a good reason .

After the overwhelming support they have been given it is disappointing.

I’m not a fan normally of soccer but didn’t miss a match of Englands game and enjoyed every one..

Top Bottom