Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Unexpected outing for the ebike this morning to buy from Aldi the apples I had totally forgot I needed in Lidl yesterday. Normal service resumed with trolleys all over the bike stands bar one and a half. In store it looked busy as the usually unused tills were in use but then I found they had replaced the two that are typically in use with six self service tills. Causing mass confusion with those with huge trolley loads forming the normal queue for the two conveyor belt tills that no longer exist.

Last edited:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Thought I would have a quiet hour doing some more tidying up around the rear garden and then all of a sudden then the garden clearance work re commences next door with vengeance :banghead:

An under clothing wash has been hung out to dry

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quick 30 miles whilst the football was on. Traffic a little lighter. Got swamped by a bunch of Hells Angels as I was slowing for some traffic lights. One even undercut me. Unfortunately his mate got some verbals from me along the line of 'what the f was he doing'. Don't think they expected to be challenged by a middle aged bloke head to toe in lycra.

Headwind for about 15 miles, then had a tail wind home.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Could be worse then ! :whistle:

Could indeed be worse. Calmac is far from perfect but I always warn against splitting it up or privatising. The Northlink route to Shetland is a good example. It was Calmac but is now I think Serco. There were unwelcome changes which seemed minor but have a big impact on travel comfort and cost. One example is putting wood partitions on the passenger bench seats to make lying down for a snooze uncomfortable. It was very common for locals to do this to save money and did not seem to cause any problems that I saw. My son traveling to work in Shetland did this. Local family connections tell me other tales of unwelcome changes which make the company more money but there is danger of straying into political territory here.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Turned out to be a much better day than forecast but did not go out triking. Took my car to the foot of my wildlife pal's road and walked the rest. This is the furthest I have walked for some time so must be improving.
Lots of butterflies around with many Scotch Argus and Peacock as well as an isolated spot with what appear to be Grizzled Skippers. These latter are reported in my book as not being found north of Yorkshire but the book was published in 1968.
Quite a few squashed frogs and toads which is surprising considering that there is very little traffic on this private and unsignposted road.
Some friends staying in his static caravan which is only let now to people he knows appeared and I was introduced as " my old diving buddy".
I was about to protest at this but realised in time that I could not be described as anything other than old. :ohmy:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Friend took me to Poole Railway Station to meet daughter and granddaughter who'd travelled back from Lille this morning ( it took me longer going by bus to visit a friend in Bournemouth Hospital last week than it took them to travel from Lille to St Pancras ) while waiting for the train we watched Ospreys circling around the old Barclays International building where they have taken up residence and have produced two chicks. Magnificent creatures nesting in the heart of Poole.

Top Bottom