Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Now sat back with a :cuppa: while watching the cycling. There was a Spanish bloke with no arms and one leg doing 50 kph around the velodrome. Blimey, at about 25 kph I'm pretty well much flat out!

I was sat about 6 feet from the camera - technically he had one leg and half an arm. The crowd gave him decent support and his riding was impressive.

Son no. 2 pointed out that even with only one leg and half an arm he was still faster than I am :blink:

There were a few riders who we knew racing, and a couple we've raced against.

Kudos to Steve Bate and his pilot who spent time in the main forum chatting with spectators and posing for photos afterwards. He did that at a hill climb we rode, where he also went downhill faster than us with only 10% vision :blink: and gave the youth riders some of his old kit, so it's not unlike him. However, very few GB riders make that sort of effort.

Last edited:

DCLane

@Speicher - have a big virtual hug from me. I hope your patient, and you, get all the support you both need.

DCLane

She's still picking at her food. Not much enthusiasm for wet, but she's been grazing on the dry.

It's new territory for Madam Lexi, as she's never been an only cat. She was rescued from a house in Ely along with 41 other cats back in early 2014, and she's shared the last nine and a half years of her life with Madam Poppy.

I'm not suggesting you need another cat but ...

I was sat about 6 feet from the camera - technically he had one leg and half an arm. The crowd gave him decent support and his riding was impressive.

Son no. 2 pointed out that even with only one leg and half an arm he was still faster than I am :blink:

There were a few riders who we knew racing, and a couple we've raced against.

Kudos to Steve Bate and his pilot who spent time in the main forum chatting with spectators and posing for photos afterwards. He did that at a hill climb we rode, where he also went downhill faster than us with only 10% vision :blink: , and gave the youth riders some of his old kit so it's not unlike him. However, very few GB riders make that sort of effort.

Sounds like you had a really good evening watching the cycling in the velodrome. I certainly enjoyed watching it on TV.

The paracycling is just brilliant IMHO - I think that Spanish fella, and the Japanese guy with one leg who absolutely blitzed his match in the pursuit would make mincemeat out of a fair few of us. It's not what you've got but how you use it kind of thing. :notworthy:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
First cuppa went down well
Soon be time for some yummy cough mixture.
Clear blue skies and dry underfoot

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm not suggesting you need another cat but ...

I've always found that when you 'need' another Cat one will turn up, over the years we have had a bunch come here. First one was 'Whitey' (to quote the washing powder advert " You can get tablets for that") cos he was always covered in oil/muck but since then we've had a load of unwanted Cats turn up (generally through the 'Cat Flap')
There has been/is Cinders, Kizzzy, Mo (Smokey) , Fifi, Woody and now Winter all of which have the option to go outside and begger off but they don't

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Looks like it could be a nice day but feels a bit autumnal.
Bunessan Show today which is 55 miles away but we reckoned it was the nicest show we attended. While this is part of the same island there is a world of difference and there used to be many descendants of the original inhabitants and quite a few "characters". I have not been for a few years now and most of the people we knew have died and the croft houses get turned into holiday homes or hobby crofts. Sad.

Ferry chaos as a lot were not able to travel yesterday tho' they did manage to cram the foot passengers on and the buses waited at the Craignure end well beyond the published timetable.
Vehicles were different and there are lots of complaints that motorhomes and other touroid were put on before local traffic. One Mull haulier is stuck as he cannot use the alternative 140 mile diversion due to a low bridge and the Corran ferry will not take artics. Some were stuck in their cars overnight after waiting for hours hoping to get on a ferry and one missed the first Corran ferry by 3 minutes this morning much to her fury.
As I have said before just one of the joys of current island life. :ohmy:

Top Bottom