Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There are people on here involved in Higher Education, so I would like to ask them a question.

Todays news states that "under performing" degree courses should be reduced, or was it ended?
This is based on the courses not leading to employment.

One response was that this would remove opportunities for some people's aspiration to be fulfilled.

Off the top of my head, I am thinking of something like Bell making or Foundry, or Glass Blowing. I know the last one exists, the first two I may have made up. I would imagine most people would aspire to have employment, not necessarily highly paid, or start their own business.

I was a 'greensand' moulder in Foundries for 7-8 years, fascinating job if a bit dirty and dangerous.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Warm lunchtime stroll completed

Bright, breezy and occasionally sunny here chez Casa Reynard.

Slept well, and have had a morning puttering about in the garden. I've also cut up a number of large cardboard boxes to stick in the recycling wheelie bin.

According to my online statement, the payment to the Bay of E seller in Latvia has now gone through, as the requisite 50-ish quid has been deducted. Fingers crossed.

I may do some more garden stuff later, assuming we escape the showers that are headed in this direction according to the weather forecast on the news.

Anyways, it's just about time for luncheon.

We didn't escape the rain. It's currently chucking it down.

Anyways, had a lovely luncheon of a corned beef* & apricot chutney sandwich, a pear, a flat peach, some cherries and two :cuppa:

* the corned beef is from Aldi, their standard one, not their posh one. It's very nice, and if Mesdames Poppy & Lexi really like something, it's always worth paying attention to their opinion.

There are people on here involved in Higher Education, so I would like to ask them a question.

Todays news states that "under performing" degree courses should be reduced, or was it ended?
This is based on the courses not leading to employment.

One response was that this would remove opportunities for some people's aspiration to be fulfilled.

Off the top of my head, I am thinking of something like Bell making or Foundry, or Glass Blowing. I know the last one exists, the first two I may have made up. I would imagine most people would aspire to have employment, not necessarily highly paid, or start their own business.

I thought that studying politics was a pointless subject. We seem to have loads of them and they all seem to be useless.
A lot of the colleges don't seem to offer the courses that they used to do as evening classes. I did A level art, pottery ,signwriting, FE teacher training , Archaeology. My brother did man in the kitchen and brick laying .
I think the government wants more of the loans to be paid off and therefore wants more people to earn higher wages rather than not repaying them because they don't reach the cut off wage .
I've worked on production lines where the person next to me had a degree, not sure what it was in , but as my wife says it shows that they achieved that level of studying .
I just think that British management are thick and don't realize what talents their workers have !

Top Bottom