Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
do you dare eat them?

You'll incur the wrath of the wee folk!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Off to the GP for some pain meds. Back pain isn't so good these days, so I need something 'long term' I think rather than quick fixes. Not done too bad since breaking my spine nearly 8 years ago.

No pain meds, basically sent away and said I need to work on my core, as cycling all the time isn't that good for it. What else can I do that won't get me bored stupid ?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
There are people on here involved in Higher Education, so I would like to ask them a question.

Todays news states that "under performing" degree courses should be reduced, or was it ended?
This is based on the courses not leading to employment.

One response was that this would remove opportunities for some people's aspiration to be fulfilled.

Off the top of my head, I am thinking of something like Bell making or Foundry, or Glass Blowing. I know the last one exists, the first two I may have made up. I would imagine most people would aspire to have employment, not necessarily highly paid, or start their own business.

Last edited:
I've been out on my bike . I parked up at Thingley so that I could get a good view of the horizon from the East right round to the North and West. I saw one 4 engined military transport and 3 helicopters. Hardly anything else . Evening the planes flying into Lulsgate had been diverted . It seems that the traffic from Fairford were leaving far to the East.
I continued my ride over to my brother's in Lacock and we cycled back together. Another 12 miles on the Viscount Aerospace Sport.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
There are people on here involved in Higher Education, so I would like to ask them a question.

Todays news states that "under performing" degree courses should be reduced, or was it ended?

One response was that this would remove opportunities for some people's aspiration to be fulfilled.

Off the top of my head, I am thinking of something like Bell making or Foundry, or Glass Blowing. I know the last one exists, the first two I may have made up. I would imagine most people would aspire to have employment, not necessarily highly paid, or start there own business.

I was a Scientific Glass Blower, many moons ago, but took a college course, not a degree.
No idea what qualifications are necessary now.

Off the top of my head, I am thinking of something like Bell making or Foundry, or Glass Blowing. I know the last one exists, the first two I may have made up. I would imagine most people would aspire to have employment, not necessarily highly paid, or start their own business.

I see the point, but wouldn't it be more sensible to offer those as apprenticeships rather than degrees?

Last edited:
Made it back from Stuttgart, not helped by Deutsche Bahn.
It's the season where lots of German schoolkids go away as a class for the week. At the same time many people without kids go on holiday to avoid the main school holiday season.
Lots of these people want to go where I live.
Knowing this, Deutsche Bahn decided today was the best Monday to cancel the first train of the day, and then make the second train shorter than usual...

pawl

Legendary Member

Taylor’s bell foundry in Loughborough has produced bells for many years and continues to do so.They produced bells for many cathedrals including St Pauls

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Potentially this could affect a lot of courses depending upon what's deemed as a good 'graduate outcome' and that students go into higher level jobs, and not that, of say, a shop assistant. There are plenty of courses that should stop, and Universities do look at them, as they are poor value for both students and the institution. In one Faculty, we've shut a number of courses. They still recruited a good number of students, but graduate outcomes, student satisfaction and VFM were all poor.

You'll find that it's not so many niche courses, but many 'Arts' programmes could be affected.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Do they provide apprenticeships?

Currently I don’t know In the past they did. .

I’ve just checked their web site and say anyone interested in working in the bell foundry to apply
Surprisingly they also want people with carpentry skills.Presumably to construct moulds .
As far as I can see there is no specific mention of formal apprenticeships

Top Bottom