Minor Day Races Thread 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
Maxim Vantomme defeats Tsatsevitch, Bouhanni and Napolitano in the sprint

oldroadman

Veteran
A good ride, well thought out tactics, feeding off the big teams. Mind I thought that OPQS had gone a bit too hard so early, but if that had worked then it would have been another win. Very dominant performance by them, but it's who gets to the line first. Just what a 1.1 needs to keep going, a local win to raise the interest.
Look at the team, Lille-Roubaix, with the municipality paying a bit for having the name on the jersey - if only...
Imagine a win by someone from a team like Wakefield - xx - xx, with the council helping with the money, if only....

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Le Samyn is also notable for having a women's race of the same level too, in this case won by Emma Johannsen. I wihs more day races would / could do both.

The Couch

Über Member
Ulissi continues strong season beginning and wins GP Camaiore. He escaped in a group of 4 with 8km to go and won the sprint.
(I bet he's pretty disappointed that the extra mountain is dropped in Milan San Remo)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I was going to say especially since he's not in them... but apparently he is after all. I definitely fancy his chances for Strade Bianche.

oldroadman

Veteran
I was going to say especially since he's not in them... but apparently he is after all. I definitely fancy his chances for Strade Bianche.
It's a very outside bet, in the bigger races the world tour teams are usually in control, although exceptions do happen, as happened at Samyn, when the attacking style of 2nd and 3rd division squads (nothing to lose) overcame the control. OPQS must have been less than amused, unless they were having a work out rather than going for the win, and other big teams missed out a bit too. I don't expect that to happen this weekend, when we all get a bit dusty (better than the brown mud spray!), even in the cars.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's a very outside bet, in the bigger races the world tour teams are usually in control, although exceptions do happen, as happened at Samyn, when the attacking style of 2nd and 3rd division squads (nothing to lose) overcame the control. OPQS must have been less than amused, unless they were having a work out rather than going for the win, and other big teams missed out a bit too. I don't expect that to happen this weekend, when we all get a bit dusty (better than the brown mud spray!), even in the cars.
Lampre are a world tour team!

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Winner from a small Roubaix-Lille team. Strade Bianche will be a different level. Lampre will have to work and think very hard to get a result there.

I think you and the rest of us are talking about different races/riders, ORM! We were talking about the winner of the GP Camaiore, Diego Ulissi of Lampre.

oldroadman

Veteran
I think you and the rest of us are talking about different races/riders, ORM! We were talking about the winner of the GP Camaiore, Diego Ulissi of Lampre.
Probably, age catches up with us all. Yes I was mentioning the GP Samyn winner, well aware that Ulissi won the GP Camaiore. I still think that he might be an outside bet for the Strade, but the finish is awkward, tough, and like many races with rough roads thrown in, bad luck can lose it, and good luck won't win it! But at least good luck might put a rider in with a shout. That last kilometre or two are a bit difficult, to say the least. Top 20 at three to go or possibly chance gone.

Top Bottom