Minor Day Races Thread 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I really like it when a tough super-domestique like Cummings is allowed his chance and takes it.

3rd to 5th place overall in this race in this were all rather interesting young prospects: Zoidl; the Argentinian, Sepulveda, who we'll see in the TdF since B-SF have a wild card; and Tobias Ludvigsson, who just won the Étoile. Along with the Yates brothers, the Quintanas - and quite a few more it has to be said - we're looking at a really exciting crop of cyclists coming through in their early twenties right now.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
We seem to have missed the Trofeo Laigueglia in Italy the other day. It's a tough little race with a bit of a climb at the end and it was won by the always interesting but inconsistent Columbian climber, José Serpa (Lampre Merida). Second was serial doper, Patrick Sinkewitz (now riding for Meridiana Kamen), with Andrea Pasqualon (Team Area Zero), coming in a bit later with the bunch.

The Couch

Über Member
No one metnioned Tour du Haut-Var, so I thought it be interesting to make a comment here as well.

Carlos Betancur - who was still looking awful in San Luis - won stage 1 in a sprint with Degenkolb!
In stage 2, nobody really could get away, until in the last kilometer-and-a-half Betancur and Moinard jumped away. Betancur - knowing the GC was his - didn't bother too hard and so Moinard got the stage victory.

Interestingly Betancur (and his entourage) was saying after San Luis he was still about 6 kilos too heavy. Assuming he didn't go on a super-crash, diet he should still be away from his ideal weight... best to keep him in mind for the white jersey in the Tour de France

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Apparently, stage 1 was Betancur's attempt to lead out the sprint but no-one in his team could follow so he just had to keep going...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
then one of my favourites, the Strade Bianchi (8th), which already feels like a true classic even though it's relatively new. It's a tough and scenic race with a fantastic last steep kilometre up into the old centre of Siena. RCS have announced 18 teams for this, including, I am pleased to note, African squad, MTN-Qhubeka. This race always suits a tough but explosive rider who can climb a bit, like Gerrans, Gilbert or Rodriguez... but the start list hasn't been announced yet.

Just for a bit of extra spice, they've made it longer and added more of the white stuff this year:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/dirt-roads-new-start-town-2014-strade-bianche-115563

With the Flanders season starting this weekend as well, I'm starting to get that buzz of excitement again...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Two other races this weekend as they come thick and fast at this time of year
Classic Sud Ardeche and La Drome Classic
The slightly odd thing, to me, is that there were 3 concurrent stage races last week and none this.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
All this and the first two Flanders races this weekend (see the other thread...): the season is really underway now!

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It was the Classic Sud Ardeche yesterday - with the likes of Gilbert for BMC and Meersman in a strong OPQS team, you might have expected one of them to take this one, but it was Florian Vachon of Bretagne- Seche Environment who won it ahead of OPQS's Michal Golas and Gilbert.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It was also the Vuelta a Murcia yesterday. A rather small and weak field and the podium was one of those where you just sigh and move on: Valverde, Machado, Rebellin. Good result for Machado, who's currently with NetApp-Endura...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It was the Classic Sud Ardeche yesterday - with the likes of Gilbert for BMC and Meersman in a strong OPQS team, you might have expected one of them to take this one, but it was Florian Vachon of Bretagne- Seche Environment who won it ahead of OPQS's Michal Golas and Gilbert.
It's important for Bretagne Seche to show some form after their controversial TdF wildcard selection

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Two Three more races on Sunday:

In Spain, the Clásica de Almería (woo, managed to work out how to do the accents this time!) was taken by Ireland's Sam Bennett (NetApp-Endura). It's his first pro win and I think also NetApp's first win of the season. He's certainly one to keep an eye on. 2nd and 3rd were Juan Jose Lobato (Movistar) and Davide Vigano (Caja Rural).

Meanwhile in Italy, the GP di Lugano was won by Yellow Fluo's Mauro Finetto over Sonny Colbrelli (Bardiani) and now seemingly everpresent podium threat, Diego Ulissi (Lampre).

And finally, in France, Romain Bardet (AG2R) took the tough Drôme Classic from Sebastian Delfosse (Wallonie-Bruxelles) and OPQS's in-form, Gianni Meersman.

Last edited:

The Couch

Über Member
Currently the GP Le Samyn is under way

At about 70K to go OPQS just decided to try to make it a KBK 2.0.
Still long way to go, the break-away group isn't as suited as last week (all a bit shattered teams present) and can't see the teams that missed the break just accepting their faith... but stilll you gotta like the attempt :thumbsup:

Top Bottom