Minor Day Races Thread 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
OPQS are having a good week with Kwiatowski winning in Mallorca and Boonen and Terpstra elsewhere.

They certainly are looking far more like a super-team than Sky or Tinkoff or BMC. Nice to see EBH getting second in Mallorca though... I really hope he has a stronger season this year. He's such a talent yet, strangely under-served at Sky (like so many - Stannard made comments this week about hoping that there weren't 'too many leaders' in Sky's Classics campaign...).

The Couch

Über Member
... I really hope he has a stronger season this year. He's such a talent yet, strangely under-served at Sky (like so many - Stannard made comments this week about hoping that there weren't 'too many leaders' in Sky's Classics campaign...).
Yeah, but if EBH is stronger than he'll probably ask for co-leadership ...and they also still have Geraint, it's a bit natural that when you have a couple of guys around that should be strong (but not one of them miles ahead) that this many-leaders happens

Then again, I'm not convinced that OPQ won't have any problems keeping everyone happy:
Of course the natural leader is Boonen (career wise and probably still strength-wise), but they've actually got many guys that could be leaders at other (less classics minded) teams: Kwiatkowski, Stybar, Vandenbergh have all shown last year that they aren't far off from the best (in 2013 that was Sagan and Cancellara). 2 seasons ago Terpstra was also very strong throughout the full classics period (actually he wasn't that much worse last year) and the way Van Keirsbulck has started his season so far, he might be one to look out for as well.
No idea, how they are going to prevent the discussion "should we only have 1 leader?" ... :blink::smile:

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yeah, but if EBH is stronger than he'll probably ask for co-leadership ...and they also still have Geraint, it's a bit natural that when you have a couple of guys around that should be strong (but not one of them miles ahead) that this many-leaders happens

Sure, but I think what he's asking for is a clearer idea of who is the leader before any particular race... ;)

raindog

er.....
Just got back from watching the first stage of the Tour Med - Degenkolb took the bunch sprint fairly easily. I was at the 50 metre board. Had a wander round after and watched the presentations - Poulidor was there as usual - just keeps going and going that guy.
Pretty cool having the finish of a pretty important race in a small village.:smile:

EDIT
haha - you can see me on CN's photo of the sprint! ^_^

Last edited:

raindog

er.....
Steve Cummings has won a tough Tour Med TT this afternoon, and now leads the race.
Some more climbing for them tomorrow.

raindog

er.....
Jean-Christophe Peraud is favourite to win today's stage and he's 15 seconds off Cummings. Wish this was televised. Hope Steve can hang in there.
Phinney said yesterday's TT was too hilly for him.

Top Bottom