Minor Day Races Thread 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
... interestingly there will be Antonio Nibali, brother of Vincenzo, so it will be good to see how he does.
This is actually the first time I hear he has a brother (that races)

(Currently) doesn't look like he has exactly the same racing genes though

As brief video of the finish:
Some interesting names who showed themselves in La Marseillaise: Pinot tried to get in late escape; Bardet sprinted pretty close, Julien Simon same
(then again, it might just be the French trying to show themselves in their own country)

thom

____
Some interesting names who showed themselves in La Marseillaise: Pinot tried to get in late escape; Bardet sprinted pretty close, Julien Simon same
(then again, it might just be the French trying to show themselves in their own country)
More than likely - it reminds me of a story Jean Bobet mentioned in "Tomorrow we ride" about Robert Chapatte. He consistently got his pictures on the front covers of newspapers because he knew where to lead the race for the photographers who, in order to get the pictures back in time for publication, had to take shots half way through the race… Robert won few races but was very popular and later was a commentator whose 1m <-> 10km rule for the lone escapee is sometimes called Chapatte's law (thanks wikipedia!).

raindog

er.....
Chapatte was commentating the Tour with Patrick Chêne when I first started watching it on French TV. That was bloody years ago :sad: and sadly, he's long dead. He finished several TdeFs when he was pro. His son still works in television.

raindog

er.....
I should have been at the start this morning, but couldn't make it. It's the first time I've missed it in 4 years. :sad:

Thanks for that link Thom. It's a very tough little race.
Sander Helven won today's stage, apparently.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Not actually a day race but a minor Aussie one
I used to watch Felix English race on our local outdoor track when he was a kid. Great to see him training on. Some may remember him beating Chris Hoy on the track in a sprint once.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/felix-english-enjoying-australian-summer-of-racing

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The Étoile isn't a day race, but there's been some good sprint action, with Bouhani, and then today, Coquard, taking stages. Degenkolb has missed out to both.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sacha Modolo has taken the Trofeo Palma de Mallorca, his second win of the season already. The TPdM is both a stand-alone day-race and the first of three days that make up the Mallorca Challenge.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Overall in the Étoile is taken by young Tobias Ludvigsson of Giant-Shimano on the strength of his winning 4th stage TT. Coppel (Cofidis) 2nd and Degenkolb (also G-S) 3rd overall but no doubt a little disappointing for him not to have taken any of the sprints.

The Couch

Über Member
Overall in the Étoile is taken by young Tobias Ludvigsson of Giant-Shimano on the strength of his winning 4th stage TT. Coppel (Cofidis) 2nd and Degenkolb (also G-S) 3rd overall but no doubt a little disappointing for him not to have taken any of the sprints.
A bit of a shame for the young rider from Topsport Vlaanderen. That would have been a nice win for that small team.
(although of course to be fair it was Cocquard who had 2 victories)

Top Bottom