Maxims to live your life by

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar
Redheads are temperamental, half temper and half mental.

There can’t be that many Chris S ‘s in Birmingham.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Focus on the things you can do, not the things you can't

I tried to focus on the things I can do but found that I can't do it.

I once did a cave diving course, run by Martyn Farr, a renowned figure in the cave diving world; perhaps the equivalent of getting violin lessons off Nigel Kennedy say. Anyhow whilst me and the other guy were kitting up, Martyn was watching carefully. He said he liked to see other people's set up as it doesn't matter who they are you can always learn something. For someone as distinguished in the field as Martyn to think he might conceivably learn from the likes of me was quite telling. That said I did later show him a totally new way of tangling up a line-reel !

Did some scuba diving for a while, but cave diving - nuh. Just watching folk doing it on the TV gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Did some scuba diving for a while, but cave diving - nuh. Just watching folk doing it on the TV gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I did some caving, but nothing hardcore. Seeing a cave dive start point where a line disappeared off into a flooded passage was heebie jeebie giving.

Looking back even caving gives me the shivers. I did dive a couple of sumps - which is worming your way along a flooded passage holding your breath, confident that the flooded bit won't be very long.

I'm way too chunky and inflexible now

With typical black humour one of my caving instructors said "never make friends with a cave diver, they may not be around much longer" which almost brings us back on topic.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Only did the course, mainly to give me some hints and tips for wreck diving - exploring inside wrecks that is. Haven't followed up with actual cave diving, though did have a few shortish cave dives in mind. Having helped carry tanks underground a few times for others, it is a major rigmarole !

Last edited:
Top Bottom