Legal in the UK: throttle e-bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Über Member
But if you're using one, under the current regulations, with anything else than a walk assist throttle, it has to go through the MVSA. This is when you acquire the VIN plate, if successful.

Yes you're right sorry I'd been reading the posts since Drago posted about all legal ebikes must have the compliance plate, but must have missed the bit upthread where "if it has a throttle" was stated.

I've seen it posted online in various places e.g pedelecs.co.uk that conversion kits have an exemption or loophole of some kind for non walk assist throttles but as it seems conversion kits themselves are a legal grey area, I thought it best to assume they're not legal.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes you're right sorry I'd been reading the posts since Drago posted about all legal ebikes must have the compliance plate, but must have missed the bit upthread where "if it has a throttle" was stated.

I've seen it posted online in various places e.g pedelecs.co.uk that conversion kits have an exemption or loophole of some kind for non walk assist throttles but as it seems conversion kits themselves are a legal grey area, I thought it best to assume they're not legal.
Throttle use doesn't appear to be a grey area for Swytch who sell conversion kits. They have a clear statement on their site that throttle use on a road bike is illegal in the UK.
If there were a loophole that allowed the legal use of a throttle with one of their kits, don't you think they'd be pointing that out?

toffee

Guru
Throttle use doesn't appear to be a grey area for Swytch who sell conversion kits. They have a clear statement on their site that throttle use on a road bike is illegal in the UK.
If there were a loophole that allowed the legal use of a throttle with one of their kits, don't you think they'd be pointing that out?

Throttles are legal as long as they only work while you are peddling.

If not, then everyone needs to let this company know.

Mirider

because they are selling thousands of them

Top Bottom