La Vuelta *** SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Not as bad as I thought to be honest...

Wout van Aert has not suffered any fractures from his crash in La Vuelta. The three-time stage winner had to withdraw due to severe knee pain caused by a deep wound. That wound requires intensive care. Wout will travel back to Belgium to continue his recovery.

Likewise. Thought that if it was just a wound, van Aert would just carry on and finish inside the time limit to fight another day. Sprint jersey was almost his, for sure. So feard the worst.

As much as I hate to see domination, and wanted to see someone else in the polka dot jersey by right, it is cruel to see the top man have to depart largely due to someone else's error.

Adam4868

Guru
Likewise. Thought that if it was just a wound, van Aert would just carry on and finish inside the time limit to fight another day. Sprint jersey was almost his, for sure. So feard the worst.

As much as I hate to see domination, and wanted to see someone else in the polka dot jersey by right, it is cruel to see the top man have to depart largely due to someone else's error.
He's been class this Vuelta....flying ! Three stages green and poss kom.Back to his best and looking like he was enjoying himself again.These riders are tough as hell ! Was watching Vine yesterday thinking how the feck do you come back to that sort of fitness and keep your nerve after the injuries he had.
Classy from Kaden..

View: https://x.com/AlpecinDCK/status/1831018492637905250?t=Nh1W3K5Ms8tsOntb-diyEg&s=19

Mike_P

Guru

Given the green jersey is on points gained, in the case of a rider abandoning due to obvious health issues it would be better IMO that the jersey remained until another rider exceeds the points gained.

Alex321

Guru
Given the green jersey is on points gained, in the case of a rider abandoning due to obvious health issues it would be better IMO that the jersey remained until another rider exceeds the points gained.

You always have to finish the race to get any jersey.

Even if he had twice the points of all the rest put together, and abandoned on the final stage, he still wouldn't be the final green jersey winner.

I've sometimes thought that one should just be on total points, regardless of actually completing the race, but it is that way in every stage race I know of.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
You always have to finish the race to get any jersey.

Even if he had twice the points of all the rest put together, and abandoned on the final stage, he still wouldn't be the final green jersey winner.

I've sometimes thought that one should just be on total points, regardless of actually completing the race, but it is that way in every stage race I know of.

Exactly, it’s why Cav has to suffer over the mountains.
Otherwise, as an extreme example you could stick Chris Hoy in to hoover up points in the first week, then drop out.

The bit about dropping out due to health issues is far too hard to police. you either start the next day or you are out.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I see there is another member of the Martin clan racing in the Vuelta. Tony and Daniel have now retired, Guillaume still racing but in the twighlight of his career, but Gotzon Martin Sanz is racing here for Euskaltel-Euskadi. Younger brother? Son? Nephew?

Last edited:

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I remember Antonio Martin Velasco, RIP :sad:

Adam4868

Guru
I don't think even Movistar are that stupid or desperate.
Cough....
Screenshot_20240905-190005.png

One of my favourite Soler moments 🤣

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom