Just how bad are drivers, in general?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willd

Guru
youre demonstrably 'not in control', that is when you go to pull away the car is not in motion for that monent and no brake of any kind is applied while youre moving your foot from brake to gas.
Apart from the fact that most modern cars have hill start assist...

Reactions: mjr
Not below the limit? It is, after all, not a target, nor necessarily a safe speed for all sections of a road subject to that limit.

I wondered that too. It was of course stated as "on the limit if conditions allow" but still... I suppose you could argue that it makes people aware of speed limits and relative speeds under different limits, especially as we have a 7km/h limit in some places, but yes it's a bit strange.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Apart from the fact that most modern cars have hill start assist...
^^ This, and you need to know how to override it temporarily if you're going to move precisely on a sloping road/driveway/ferry ramp.

To address concerns about examiner shortage and mass disqualifications (which might help increase pressure to fix our dysfunctional buses and trains but it would be a shock), I'd settle for baby steps at first and start by introducing an open-book online theory test of the recent changes every decade or so, just to increase the chance of motorists having read the highway code updates, with a facial check/recording to discourage hiring a stooge.

Fastpedaller

Über Member
That hill start assist can be a pain - I much prefer (and can control) using the handbrake and clutch and accelerator all at the same time (Wow) :rolleyes:
During my first driving lesson (after teaching me clutch control) the instructor said "have you driven already, maybe with family member?" I responded with "No, never" to which he expressed surprise (I wonder if he believed me? DI "but you place yourself correctly on the road and seem to be aware of other vehicles". Me "I ride a pedal bike" . DI "Ah that explains it". He sometimes pointed out I was driving a bit slowly "you're not on your bike now" and on one occasion said I shouldn't wait behind a bus, but should 'make good progress'. I said that in my experience buses often pull out before giving a signal. The next time we (very nearly) met a bus this very thing happened, and he never mentioned it again. I'd only pass the bus if I could see passengers getting on of off (and also slowed in case they walked in front of the bus.)

start by introducing an open-book online theory test of the recent changes every decade or so, just to increase the chance of motorists having read the highway code updates, with a facial check/recording to discourage hiring a stooge.

Japan has a mandatory training day and test every five years. Unfortunately, driving there is still terrible; pedestrian crossings are pretty decorations on the road, and pavements are parking extensions. I was once admonished for driving on the speed limit "because there are cars behind, and you're holding them up".

simongt

Guru
pedestrians are jumping into the road to avoid cyclists.
It does seem that in our neck of the woods, there are far more cyclists of all persuasions using the footpaths than the road.
The cause of this change in habit can be hypothesised 'til hell freezes over, but it's happening. :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
Japan has a mandatory training day and test every five years. Unfortunately, driving there is still terrible; pedestrian crossings are pretty decorations on the road, and pavements are parking extensions. I was once admonished for driving on the speed limit "because there are cars behind, and you're holding them up".

Unsurprising in a country that has vending machines that sell used schoolgirls knickers.

Alex321

Guru
You'd fail your test tomorrow if you held the car stationary on the foot brake with the clutch in under any circumstances - youre demonstrably 'not in control', that is when you go to pull away the car is not in motion for that monent and no brake of any kind is applied while youre moving your foot from brake to gas.

Holding it on the clutch did not involve the brake, it was throttle, and just slipping the clutch enough to hold the car stationary.

And the point I was making was that although it was what I was taught to do, I think nowadays it would be a fail.

TBH, I don't really remember for sure now whether I was told to use that method in the test, or whether I was just taught it (by a professional driving instructor) as another way to do it. But I have such strong memories of it that I think I was expected to do it in the test.

If you're stationary it should be punctuated with an application of the handbrake, or whatever suitable equivalent a particular car might have in this day and age. People that hold cars on the foot brake are simply prats.

Absolutely.

Fastpedaller

Über Member
My neighbour told me he always gives cyclists plenty of room :smile: He then 'spoilt' my image of his driving by saying "I wish they wouldn't go along at over 20MPH in a 20MPH zone, because I can't overtake them" :banghead:

screenman

Legendary Member
One of the worst and scariest car journeys I ever had was when the driver was a cyclist, I made sure I drove to every event after that. It was not so much the speed, but an accumulation of many things.

Top Bottom