It seems to me……

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The biggest single part of my cycling is commuting usually twice a week - roughly 24.5km one way. There are shorter routes but they are much more crowded with cars. That commuting helps me to keep the motivation up for cycling even in the "dark" months.
A foretaste of what is to come from last week:
View attachment 744969
On weekends I will explore the smaller paths in the area here with the single speed bike(s) - just riding and looking out for some photographic opportunities, trying to get into woodland photography.

E.

dark ? half my commutes are in the dark even in summer , the joys of shift work :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
It is good to carry on riding through the winter, but why would you ride for the same number of hours in a winter week plagued by freezing fog, torrential rain, strong winds, sleet, hail etc. as you would in a beautifully warm and sunny week in summer (if we actually had them!)? :whistle:

You’re forgetting the clear crisp winter days, with barely a breath of wind. During the day glorious blue skies, at night in country lanes, the Milky Way above. Even rain and cold is no bother with modern clothing.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
You’re forgetting the clear crisp winter days, with barely a breath of wind. During the day glorious blue skies, at night in country lanes, the Milky Way above. Even rain and cold is no bother with modern clothing.

You’re right. I spend a fair bit of time working in the docks / Outer Harbour in Great Yarmouth. Not quite ‘offshore’ - but as close as it gets for a land hermit.

There’s no such thing as a bad weather day per-se. Only bad clothing choices. With modern, thin, lightweight, breathable, waterproof and insulated layers; the average U.K. cold / wet days really shouldn’t be progress stopping.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along

The bright winter days are wonderful.

This was taken on 2nd January 2022.

IMG-20220102-WA0001.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You’re forgetting the clear crisp winter days, with barely a breath of wind. During the day glorious blue skies...
If there is no danger of ice, then yes - great!

Even rain and cold is no bother with modern clothing.
Rain + cold = ice! :laugh:

Rain + nippy/chilly, maybe not so bad?

Until one gets a puncture (or other mechanical problem) that is... I got a flat tyre on one winter ride and once the 'modern clothing' (decent winter gloves) came off I was in real trouble. My fingers rapidly lost all sensation in the cold and I struggled for over half an hour. I was very cold by then so I turned and went straight home to thaw out.

Definitely not so good on bikes without mudguards. And in an area with many steep descents and bikes without disc brakes - rim-wrecking! I have worn out front wheels in 2 months of descending wet, salty, gritty winter roads.

If I could afford it, I would have a dedicated winter bike - good mudguards, belt drive, hub gears, and disc brakes. Maybe then I would venture out more in winter.

I tend to ride at least once every day because cycling is my main form of transport; yesterday I cycled to the bank to open an account, then to Lidl, and today I'll be riding my big Dutch cargo bike to carry a lot of old paperwork to recycling.

I tend not to take many pictures of this because I'm often trying to be on time for an appointment, and also because transport cycling is fairly routine. That said, members here have pointed out that where I'm riding is normal for me, but probably not most people on this forum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom