It seems to me……

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I try and do the same all year around
In one way that is admirable, but in another... it is a bit, er, strange!

It is good to carry on riding through the winter, but why would you ride for the same number of hours in a winter week plagued by freezing fog, torrential rain, strong winds, sleet, hail etc. as you would in a beautifully warm and sunny week in summer (if we actually had them!)? :whistle:

I have compromised now. I used to virtually abandon cycling for the winter but the 3-rides-a-week challenge has kept me going for 88+ weeks on the trot now. Even when I have been travelling, ill, or booked up with family gatherings, I have done at least a bare minimum of 3 x 30 minutes rides a week. In the winter not much more than that, but the average so far in 2024 has been 6 hours/week.

vickster

Legendary Member

It is good to carry on riding through the winter, but why would you ride for the same number of hours in a winter week plagued by freezing fog, torrential rain, strong winds, sleet, hail etc. as you would in a beautifully warm and sunny week in summer (if we actually had them!)? :whistle:

I have compromised now. I used to virtually abandon cycling for the winter but the 3-rides-a-week challenge has kept me going for 88+ weeks on the trot now. Even when I have been travelling, ill, or booked up with family gatherings, I have done at least a bare minimum of 3 x 30 minutes rides a week. In the winter not much more than that, but the average so far in 2024 has been 6 hours/week.

If you work 5 days a week in summer and winter, the time available for cycling is not that dissimilar between the seasons. 35-40 hours of my waking week are taken up with work sadly!

If anything, I have more time to cycle in winter as in May/June/September, I tend to take a couple of weeks of overseas holidays when I generally don’t cycle much, if at all. (Paid for by working obvs)

Clearly if retired, there’s more time to choose when to cycle and indeed to do it!

In the before times (> 10 years ago) the bike was transport. Come rain or shine, I preferred to bike. Living in Manchester, it made sense.

Now, working from home and getting groceries delivered means there's very little cycling as transport. It's all technically leisure rides. It is much easier to keep up the winter miles when there's a reason to acrue them. However, I started cycling again late last September and aimed gradually increased my mileage month-to-month, even through the Winter. December and January were a bit ropey due to work commitments.
I will aim to at least maintain the monthly mileage this winter and carry as much fitness as I can through to the spring. Sadly, 'leisure riding' in the dark isn't that much fun as there's little scenary to see. The likes of Zwift could be an option, but I never much liked using a turbo trainer on account of getting so hot and sweaty.

We do seem to have more wet days and more windier days now versus then. Something else to adjust to.

ColinJ

Clearly if retired, there’s more time to choose when to cycle and indeed to do it!
That is clearly true! But... :whistle:

I did used to do a full weeks work. I didn't go out much after work in the winter but often did 2-4 hours on a summer evening. Which is what I was getting at!

I remember once talking to someone who lived in Stockport and worked in Manchester. In the winter he used to cycle directly to and from work. In the summer he used to sometimes add a 3 hour detour through the Peak District on the way home, or even sometimes on the way in to work...

PaulSB

Squire
…..to be slightly quieter on here of late.

I presume less light, less warmth (For most) = less cycling. That in turn means less to talk about.

So what’s your Winter cycling routine ? Ride it out (Pardon the pun), pick and choose the good days, carry on regardless. Or…..?
You're asking two questions with this. The first being why is it quiet on here? I don't think this is related to how often one cycles.

I decided to take a break from CC for 12 months or more. When I returned I thought it noticeably quieter and still is. Some forums simply run in cycles of quiet to busy, others run out of things to discuss, some were of their time. My feeling with CC is there is only so much one can chat about that is cycling related.

As for cycling I ride as much as possible throughout the year. For 2024 my mileage has dropped significantly due to family situation, weather and currently 12 weeks off the bike after being hit by a tractor driver.

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
My cycling has literally been transformed this year….

At the ripe old age of 52 - I’ve realised getting my head down and chasing times / Strava PB’s etc isn’t all that cycling is about. Didn't take me long hey ? 😉

In recent years I used to cycle pretty much purely to burn calories. Now I’m using it as a way to explore, to see some scenery, to de-stress from work, as a social thing; now I’m in with a couple of groups / riding buddies…..I really look forward to getting out on any of the bikes; and am really-really loving the whole cycling vibe I’ve discovered. Or more to the point ‘made’ for myself. And long may it continue.

So this is weird. Someone above said he wouldn't get out on a long bike ride unless he had a photo challenge (to get to a village starting with "v"). And I thought that was a good idea but I'm just not a challenger type of person, I don't go for goals, I go for journeys. I wondered why I was like that.

Then I read your post saying you had enough of PBs and Strava times (challenges) and how you learned that life isn't like that.

Now I'm feeling better again because I also am not a fan of challenges. I just do stuff that needs to be done (like at work) and on the bike, if I want to ride fast then I will, if I want to amble along then that's fine too.

Anyway, back to the original question of cycling in winter. I definitely ride less in colder months but continue with the commute. On weekends I'll ride if it's not raining because riding to get to work is a totally different experience that riding just for the fun and I really want to have fun.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's

It's all weather dependent IE if it's raining , snowing, foggy or icy then no riding as I no longer feel it's worth the risk, but if none of the above I will ride .
Those 30 minute rides all add up at the end of the day.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
So this is weird. Someone above said he wouldn't get out on a long bike ride unless he had a photo challenge (to get to a village starting with "v"). And I thought that was a good idea but I'm just not a challenger type of person, I don't go for goals, I go for journeys. I wondered why I was like that.

Then I read your post saying you had enough of PBs and Strava times (challenges) and how you learned that life isn't like that.

Now I'm feeling better again because I also am not a fan of challenges. I just do stuff that needs to be done (like at work) and on the bike, if I want to ride fast then I will, if I want to amble along then that's fine too.

Anyway, back to the original question of cycling in winter. I definitely ride less in colder months but continue with the commute. On weekends I'll ride if it's not raining because riding to get to work is a totally different experience that riding just for the fun and I really want to have fun.

The Photo challenges absolutely aren’t the be-all or end-all for me. Just give a ride a bit of extra purpose. And even somewhat determining my route sometimes.

If I see a Challenge come to the top of the photo section and I’ve not seen / done before perhaps; I might think where I can grab the appropriate photo - and build that into a ride. Rather than ‘just’ riding around with ‘no purpose’ or doing another; or more travelled route just-because I fancied getting some miles in.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Similarly to @All uphill I like the Photo Challenge and other photo threads. I don't need a reason to get out though I just enjoy riding and always look for interesting photo opportunities. Life has been busy getting retirement plans in place and trying to get the boat ready so haven't been out as much as I'd like. When I've finished working however it will be cycling daily, writing and photography.

ColinJ

It's all weather dependent IE if it's raining , snowing, foggy or icy then no riding as I no longer feel it's worth the risk, but if none of the above I will ride .
Same here!!

I started one year off the way I wanted - a New Years Day MTB ride. I crashed 3 times on ice! I got away with very minor injuries but it did put me off riding in wintry conditions.

I have photos of me and my road bike on snow- and ice-covered lanes 400 m up in the local hills. It really was foolish to ride that bike up there in those conditions. I wouldn't do it now without at least fitting studded tyres.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Commute all year around unless its to dangerous to do so then weekend ride if it is safe .I normally end up on zwift over xmas period as its easier to fit rides in around festive family plans which sometimes extends into Jan if the weather takes a nasty turn .The way i think of zwift membership is a couple of cake stops missed from no club rides pays for the membership .
This was a mid winter club ride a few years ago with me on the front if i remember .

81066473_10217964047787653_5653335812431937536_n.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom