Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
There's a road that turns up right after Dunipace and goes to Pleam, that it? First hill is monstrous!

I'm realistic about the bike being a commuter and not a pristine showpiece, but should I be drying it/chain/spraying it etc in morning before I put it in the container?
And what else should I be doing as a maintenance schedule?

Other quick question - what are good gloves to buy? Was getting slippy in the hoods!!!

Finally, my app (Cyclemeter) said I burned 1200 calories on way in and 1300 hundred or way back?

Am I seriously burning 2500 calories per day? That's mental!!!!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hey guys and girls, @ColinJ is coming to Scotland looking for a big hill.
Anybody free to ride up Ben Nevis? :laugh:

Fubar

Guru
There's a road that turns up right after Dunipace and goes to Pleam, that it? First hill is monstrous!

I'm realistic about the bike being a commuter and not a pristine showpiece, but should I be drying it/chain/spraying it etc in morning before I put it in the container?
And what else should I be doing as a maintenance schedule?

Other quick question - what are good gloves to buy? Was getting slippy in the hoods!!!

Finally, my app (Cyclemeter) said I burned 1200 calories on way in and 1300 hundred or way back?

Am I seriously burning 2500 calories per day? That's mental!!!!

Once a week is fine to give chain etc a going over, unless it's got a real soaking then do it immediately - perhaps more frequent in the winter. A good wipe down removing dirt, wipe and lube moving parts (except wheels!) and I like to clean rims - stops dirt building on brake pads.

If you are commuting get gloves at the next Aldi sale - they last as long as more expensive types but you don't feel bad if they get trashed, fingerless for summer full finger for winter. For the worst weather Sealskinz are good waterproof gloves (except when water gets inside) but are expensive.

You're probably not burning 2500 kcals a day, more like 1000 - you need an HRM (heart rate monitor) to Be more accurate - and you are probably eating more as well!

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Did the Mickel method - although probably need to invest in decent chain lube. Wet or dry - what a minefield that is!!

Will look out in Aldi - or will suggest to my wife to look out ^_^ I'm not sexist, I just hate shopping!!!!

Minor update on the bike: went to LBS today, got a shorter stem fitted, can actually reach the hoods! What a novelty that is!

Then popped by my dad's to have a shot of his track pump (not got one yet) and discovered my tyres were at 40 psi. Seems a lot to go down in a week, or shop didn't inflate properly. Anyway, they are at 90 psi now so should be a bit faster this week :thumbsup:

Track pump definitely next on the list!

(2nd day of commuting yesterday and got a puncture - bad times! Cycle paths are not worth the hassle!)

MikeW-71

Veteran
You should see it in Aldi when they have a Cycling sale. The MAMILs descend like a swarm of locusts :biggrin: You need to get there at opening time or it'll all be gone, I kid you not! Lidl have some cycling stuff next week, have a look on their site.

Chain lube: Finish Line wet lube is what I use. Like it a lot, doesn't fling off the chain at all and it lasts for ages :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
What a beautiful day. Just need to decide where to spend it cycling

Top Bottom