"I didn't buy a bike to oil it!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Generally, the free first service is the ideal point to go through that, I find, rather than bamboozling people who are more focussed on getting a new shiny thing. You get a feel then for if the bike is used occasionally or daily, in all weathers or on dry sunny days, kept indoors, garaged or tied with a piece of string to the drainpipe, and can advise accordingly.
I think you're right. Do you get many takers for the free service? I imagine a lot of people don't bother.
But..come to think of it, I wonder if producing a little maintenance leaflet and giving a "free maintenance kit" with a little brush and some lube might not be a bad idea...
It wouldn't hurt your reputation and approachability.
Campag? Wow, they still make that?
Nah. They had to stop after a spate of DEATHs because people rode it on bridleways.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Nah. They had to stop after a spate of DEATHs because people rode it on bridleways.
That Anthrax Plutonium groupset was always going to cause problems.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think you're right. Do you get many takers for the free service? I imagine a lot of people don't bother.

It wouldn't hurt your reputation and approachability.

I've taken up my free service with both bikes I bought from my LBS. With the first bike I don't think I'd actually used it that much as I wasn't commuting at that point.

I used to get this exact first post scenario when I used to work in a car spares (and low end bike) shop people would destroy their bikes and then bring em back under warranty... I told one woman who was kicking off about her sons bike...that if she taught her son to respect his belongings they might last..... I then showed the flat spotted tyres, pedals that had been trashed through throwing it on the floor.... she flounced out saying she would never buy a bike from us again....shame that

And the amount of people came in asking for the first service after six months use......

You what? I didn't buy a brand new bike to have to oil it
I wonder if he does the same with his car?
You're not goin anywhere near my bike mate, you must think I'm a f'ing idiot
That's because you are a f'ing idiot.

I mean, what an absolute plank. All I can say is that you have my utmost respect for not either losing it or laughing in his face. I suppose if it were my living then I'd have done the same but you must have been sorely tempted.

Ian193

Über Member
I used to get this exact first post scenario when I used to work in a car spares (and low end bike) shop people would destroy their bikes and then bring em back under warranty... I told one woman who was kicking off about her sons bike...that if she taught her son to respect his belongings they might last..... I then showed the flat spotted tyres, pedals that had been trashed through throwing it on the floor.... she flounced out saying she would never buy a bike from us again....shame that

And the amount of people came in asking for the first service after six months use......

This thread reminds me I need to book my bike in for its 6 weeks service as I'm approximately 10 weeks late

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Just got back from Argos. Told them I was disgusted with the dinner service, I've only had 10 meals on it and there's old food stuck to it and everything.
I didn't buy new plates to wash them up!

I reckon it's about 30% but hopefully more as we're raising the range a little

Katherine

Guru
Perhaps they could spend a few minutes reading through the manual which comes with any new bike I have ever bought. If it's not already obvious, it will explain the need to lubricate moving parts.
I didn't get a manual with mine. Wish I had. Mr K told me to oil anything that moves but I still missed part of the derailleur mechanism that wasn't obvious to me. It seized up when I was off the bike for a couple of weeks.

I know someone who used to work in a bike shop. Some of the stories he told me were incredible.

For example:
  • Somebody returned a road bike which had a buckled front wheel. It was obviously 'crap' because it folded when he rode the bike at speed up over a kerb stone. He had never had a problem doing that on his mountain bike!
  • Another bike was 'faulty' because a tyre went flat after a couple of weeks of riding. When the shard of glass embedded in it was pointed out, the owner insisted that lightweight racing bike tyres 'should be glass-proof'!

If they did make them glass proof and puncture proof, it still wont be idiot proof. Was this guy an MP or something?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
you're trying to blame the seller for the buyer being a muppet... you're on your own (unless i've missed all the posts supporting you)
I support @winjim's opinion because:

Perhaps they could spend a few minutes reading through the manual which comes with any new bike I have ever bought. If it's not already obvious, it will explain the need to lubricate moving parts.
Two new bikes I have bought from LBshops (different shops) came with nothing.
One of the bikes was actually quite pricey (for me) in the 800 pounds range, so they could have made an effort.
The first one (Boris, you have met ^_^) got umpteen punctures on the stock tyres within the first 2 weeks. The seller new I was inexperienced, he could have at least told me about the basics. I had to go back for a demonstration about working the gears.
The last new bike I've bought, from Evans, came with a comprehensive manual.
Too late for me know, have learned all I need from Cycle Chat!

There seems to be a lot of hate, generally, for belt-drive systems: "a solution looking for a problem" kinda thing.
Belt drive and hub gear is a great solution for people who don't want to mess with a bike.

Reactions: mjr

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I worked with a lad once who rode a bike with the squeakiest chain I'd ever heard, when I mentioned oiling it to him one teabreak he said he'd had to wash it all off cos he kept getting it all over his shellsuit trouser legs and his Nike trainers (both mainly white)
There's no helping some folk. :rolleyes:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There seems to be a lot of hate, generally, for belt-drive systems: "a solution looking for a problem" kinda thing.
Belt drive and hub gear is a great solution for people who don't want to mess with a bike.

Its the expense more than anything. The belt drive makers needs to certify the frame, tension etc. If the pricing were similar I am sure there will be lot more out there. Folks are prepared to try such things.

Top Bottom