"I didn't buy a bike to oil it!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Don't you think maybe they ought to?
you mean... should people who sell things state the bleeding obvious every time they sell something?

"Won't be a moment, just explaining to this gentleman where to put his fish and chip supper! ...they go in your mouth sir, but not all at once. you might want to cut the fish first, since that's larger than the 'bite size' chips..." :whistle:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
you mean... should people who sell things state the bleeding obvious every time they sell something?

"Won't be a moment, just explaining to this gentleman where to put his fish and chip supper! ...they go in your mouth sir, but not all at once. you might want to cut the fish first, since that's larger than the 'bite size' chips..." :whistle:

at the kitchen shop they didn't explain I should hold the knife I just bought by the handle, rather than the flat bit. Cut myself quite badly. Really irresponsible of them

OP, when you sell someone a bike, do you talk to them about the maintenance regime required? Do you tell them what they need to lube, what they may need to adjust, which parts will wear and need replacing, when to bring it back to have a proper mechanic look at it? Because if you don't, how are they supposed to know?
The OP probably assumed the buyer was a couple of brain cells above a retarded gibbon.

Globalti

Legendary Member
at the kitchen shop they didn't explain I should hold the knife I just bought by the handle, rather than the flat bit. Cut myself quite badly. Really irresponsible of them

You'd do better living in the USA. Cars there come with a handbook full of big yellow triangles with warnings like: "WARNING! Driving this vehicle into an object at 60 mph to test the airbags is likely to cause serious injury or death!" or: "WARNING! Ensure pedestrians are clear from in front of this vehicle before engaging gear and driving off. Serious injury can result from an impact!"

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's not obvious if you don't know it. If you're going to sell someone an expensive piece of machinery and not tell them how to look after it, don't start bitching when they bring it back broken because they didn't know how to look after it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's not obvious if you don't know it. If you're going to sell someone an expensive piece of machinery and not tell them how to look after it, don't start bitching when they bring it back broken because they didn't know how to look after it.
think you're on your own with this one.

you may also want to read the OP again.. .you know, the bit describing how the buyer responded when maintenance was suggested.

mustang1

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4164045, member: 9609"]Bikes are very maintenance hungry in the winter months, they really are out of the stoneage in needing oiled and cleaned after every ride. a 2 hour ride on wet salty roads and I will probably spend the best part of an hour cleaning and oiling it up, i think only horses take more faffing about with.[/QUOTE]

I like riding bikes with low end (tiagra or lower) because I don't want to spend time cleaning. If the bike makes noise, I squirt oil at it. If it continues, I might clean it if I fancy that, or more likely, I'll just get a new chaina nd cassette. I'm quite happy to change these parts 3 or 4 times per year.

winjim

Smash the cistern
think you're on your own with this one.

you may also want to read the OP again.. .you know, the bit describing how the buyer responded when maintenance was suggested.
The maintenance was suggested on a return visit. I was just asking whether it was mentioned at point of sale.

Brandane

Legendary Member
OP, when you sell someone a bike, do you talk to them about the maintenance regime required? Do you tell them what they need to lube, what they may need to adjust, which parts will wear and need replacing, when to bring it back to have a proper mechanic look at it? Because if you don't, how are they supposed to know?
Perhaps they could spend a few minutes reading through the manual which comes with any new bike I have ever bought. If it's not already obvious, it will explain the need to lubricate moving parts.

winjim

Smash the cistern
you're trying to blame the seller for the buyer being a muppet... you're on your own (unless i've missed all the posts supporting you)
No, I'm suggesting that when selling someone a bike, it might be a nice idea to have a quick chat about maintenance requirements, that is all. The OP may well do that, I don't know, that's why I asked.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No, I'm suggesting that when selling someone a bike, it might be a nice idea to have a quick chat about maintenance requirements, that is all. The OP may well do that, I don't know, that's why I asked.

Probably sense in saying "pump tyres and oil occasionally, but I suspect the seed would have fallen on stony ground in this instance as the guy was way.beyond normal stupidity

Top Bottom