"I didn't buy a bike to oil it!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
but dont belts tend to wear out quicker then chains?
2 previous round-the world record holders have used Gates drive.
There have been reports of them snapping, often by big,hefty riders with poor technique, who post lots of reports of stuff snapping.
The kind of occasional everyday rider who lets a chain rust solid is not going to be riding any distance.
There have been a few iterations of the belt design for bicycles, as you would expect for a new application. The same went for suspension forks, hydraulic brakes, electric gears etc.

but dont belts tend to wear out quicker then chains?
I think Harley Davidson quote a minimum of 50,000 miles for belts on their two wheeled tractors, with most people exceeding that. Compare that with chains on motorcycles which can be shagged in well under 10k.

Lonestar

Veteran
I just wonder OP do they actually go on Twatter and complain? They do when it is anything connected with my job,because they know better.:banghead:

I remember fondly my MiL going to a car boot sale and returning with a supermarket special, bent forks, a buckled wheel and chain/ brakes etc diesel with rust that was a bargain at£40

Then told her granddaughter that she had bought her a bike for her birthday the following weekend and that I would check it over and make sure it was safe before then

One look and took it back to the seller asking if they had ever heard the terms "safe" and "fit for purpose" as well as selling it to an 0 year old for a price well over the odds

Polite, and firm, not doing his stall any good to have him accused of dodgy selling - I got a refund

Then went to the LBS and bought a cheaper bike in reasonable nick

boydj

Legendary Member
That's just reminded me of the booklet that comes with speedplay pedals, which is obviously for the 'merkin market. About the only thing they didn't warn you about was that the pedals might be a choking hazard if swallowed.
I also bought Speedplay pedals (online) and did not read the manual too closely - missed the bit about feeding grease into them every few hundred miles. This, of course, resulted in a fairly expensive rebuild with new bearings by the lbs after the pedals seized.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
some years back I recall some stupid cow complaining in the local paper in Cheltenham complaining that the bike shop would't "help a damsel in distress" after she'd had a puncture. She'd moaned that they were only willing to out a new tube in for a fiver, but wouldn't do a "temporary repair" whatever TF that might have been in her world. Clearly she felt hard done by but what can you do with people that daft?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
some years back I recall some stupid cow complaining in the local paper in Cheltenham complaining that the bike shop would't "help a damsel in distress" after she'd had a puncture. She'd moaned that they were only willing to out a new tube in for a fiver, but wouldn't do a "temporary repair" whatever TF that might have been in her world. Clearly she felt hard done by but what can you do with people that daft?
Pump it up without fixing it? :whistle:

(They might actually get her home. More likely, it would get her about 50 yards down the road! :laugh:)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Pump it up without fixing it? :whistle:

(They might actually get her home. More likely, it would get her about 50 yards down the road! :laugh:)

well quite ! I guess they gave her short shrift, rather than patiently explaining - but from the tone of the letter I suspect any explantion would have been utterly wasted. Taking the piss may have been nigh on irresistable

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I also bought Speedplay pedals (online) and did not read the manual too closely - missed the bit about feeding grease into them every few hundred miles. This, of course, resulted in a fairly expensive rebuild with new bearings by the lbs after the pedals seized.

You can get bearing sets on eBay for about a tenner. Saves you a fortune.

simon.r

Person
I think we confuse using bikes for transport with using them as toys.

I use a car as a functional means of getting around and I wouldn't consider buying one that needed anything more than an annual service and very occasional home maintenance such as tyres checking and fluids being topped up.

A bike bought solely for transport in the UK ought to have similar maintenance requirements as a car. A hub gear, a full chaincase, mudguards, drum brakes and good puncture resistant tyres would more or less do it. An annual service, occasionally pumping the tyres up and maybe a turn of a barrel adjuster once every few months to compensate for brake pad wear would keep it in reasonable condition. .

The reason that so many people who have no interest in bikes beyond using them as transport are sold bikes with 'complicated' gear systems that include front and rear mechs, exposed chains, rim brakes and no mudguards is beyond me. Fashion? Retailers not pushing 'sensible' bikes?

This link isn't mine, but makes sense to me: http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/2009/01/anatomy-of-reliable-everyday-bicycle.html

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Whaaaatttttt !!! Campag C Record Carbon Looks - never greased them in 20 years - sweet. Newer stuff, XT SPD's never need touching !!

Top Bottom