Hoods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the "Reach" measurement on a frame geometry is the best comparator between different style / manufacturers frames.

the supplier of the original "bike fit" is charlatan and want shooting for leaving the hoods at that angle. Even if he felt he needed to rotate the bars to achieve "something" for the OP, and we have no ideas on his flexibility / mobility / physical limitations or otherwise, the hoods should have been moved and the bars rewrapped.

the bar shape isnt helping, the OP they are quite long drop what i call traditional / old school bars, and the tops are not parallel with the drops, which I've emphasizde with my squiggles

View attachment 734763
compared to these which are "compact" bars and much better IMHO. Also note the hoods on this are an extension of the tops, which is ideal for comfort.
View attachment 734766

Thanks. Technically I think they say my bars should be a little more rotated down but this angle works for me. The way they usually set hood height on bars is to use a straight edge on the bottom of the drops and the bottom of the brake lever should be in line . On phone can't copy pic link here. https://images.app.goo.gl/vXTSWxtgAuKVDLJp7

Last edited:
OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
That's how I used to go off but obviously the bike fitter had other ideas on the position of the bars and hoods. Maybe for a more comfortable position.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The bike is a 56cm and I'm 5ft 10 I've always had a 56cm so it's not the wrong frame size.
How's about offering us the distances of:
1) centre of BB to the point on the seat tube/post level with the head tube/top tube intersection and
2) from the head tube/top tube intersection point to the point level with it on the seat tube/post?

If you need the saddle that high (long legs) then the frame looks too small to me as you'll be doubled right over like a racer with the bars/hoods so low down. For your riding the hoods should be roughly level with the saddle.
Ride the Dawes Giro Audax 600 instead. I bet the bike fitter's dimensions are not replicated anyway near on that.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
where did you get the genesis from and have you checked the measurements ,? i am not saying its wrong but it does look small to me as i have been misold frames before now .Hard to tell without comparisons and i always end up on bikes that are on the large side of my sizing as im 5 foot 7
This was my current summer bike

I've just checked for the first time it's says 56cm on the side but I measured and it's 54cm do you think that's why I've got to have such a big stack.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
How's about offering us the distances of:
1) centre of BB to the point on the seat tube/post level with the head tube/top tube intersection and
2) from the head tube/top tube intersection point to the point level with it on the seat tube/post?

If you need the saddle that high (long legs) then the frame looks too small to me as you'll be doubled right over like a racer with the bars/hoods so low down. For your riding the hoods should be roughly level with the saddle.
Ride the Dawes Giro Audax 600 instead. I bet the bike fitter's dimensions are not replicated anyway near on that.

Your correct I've just measured the frame it says 56cm on the side but I measured and it54cm is that why my seat height has to be so high and the stem height. I would have thought the bike fitter would have picked that up.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Photos

Attachments

• 20240620_163936.jpg
    20240620_163936.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240620_164029.jpg
    20240620_164029.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 10

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've just measured my racing bike same again I was told it was 56cm but just measured it's 54cm.
I may be wrong - you haven't provided a decent picture from the side of the whole bike against a plain background - but that 54cm is to the top of the seat tube. Is that point level with the head tube/top tube intersection?

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I've messed up I've just goggled it because I've got a slopping tube you get a spirit level from your head tube go back then measure from the centre crank up to the level mark . I've stripped down my bike and have just started building my old dawes bike 😆

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You've posted a lot and told us nothing.

Length of a virtual (horizontal) top tube tells us a lot more than a seat tube measurement, I still think the bike fit charlatan needs shooting.
Are you really inflexible, is that why they have put the bars so high?

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I did post the measurements of the bike fit on earlier post I think anyway here it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240619_201241_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_201241_OneDrive.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 8

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1718954607441.png

ask yourself " does the front of your bike 'post fit' look anything like this?"

then ask bike-fit-charlatan man why not

Top Bottom