Hoods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's not a lot of post :biggrin:

i am a shorty : ) , its a lot for me .
My trouble is i could happily go for a smaller bike but stock frames dont tend to come much smaller than a 54 top tube

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Yeah but it was a racing bike normally I just go on the height of the seat post. If I've got a slight bend in the arms I would be happy. But since I've started doing longer rides I'm feeling it in the body more especially in the neck that's why I thought I'd let the professionals have a look I'm gutted now that I spent £150 and all they've done is put my saddle in the middle and put a higher stem on and I don't know what they thought with the hoods and handle bar position. I've just spoke to another bike fitter in a different shop sent him my photo of the bike fit he said the handle bars and hoods are not right plus the height of the stack will make the bike twitchy, which it does. Hopefully I will not afend the biker fitter and then try and tell him his job.

cyberknight

Yeah but it was a racing bike normally I just go on the height of the seat post. If I've got a slight bend in the arms I would be happy. But since I've started doing longer rides I'm feeling it in the body more especially in the neck that's why I thought I'd let the professionals have a look I'm gutted now that I spent £150 and all they've done is put my saddle in the middle and put a higher stem on and I don't know what they thought with the hoods and handle bar position. I've just spoke to another bike fitter in a different shop sent him my photo of the bike fit he said the handle bars and hoods are not right plus the height of the stack will make the bike twitchy, which it does. Hopefully I will not afend the biker fitter and then try and tell him his job.

Is it part of a chain or an independent ? , if its the former you can go further up the food chain and make your case as even another shop has agreed with the " internet experts "

figbat

Slippery scientist
The bike is a 56cm and I'm 5ft 10 I've always had a 56cm so it's not the wrong frame size.

Frame sizing can vary by manufacturer so I wouldn't be so fixed. I'm also 5'10" (32 cm inside leg) and had a 56 cm Cannondale Synapse that was too big for me. In fact my current road bike, a Fuji Altamira 2.7, is only 53 cm and fits me well.

vickster

Legendary Member
Frame sizing can vary by manufacturer so I wouldn't be so fixed. I'm also 5'10" (32 cm inside leg) and had a 56 cm Cannondale Synapse that was too big for me. In fact my current road bike, a Fuji Altamira 2.7, is only 53 cm and fits me well.

Is that a 53 TT or ST though, you need to know which bit they’ve measured to determine the ‘size’ on the label

vickster

Legendary Member
It's crazy with the difference in manufacturers with there frame sizes.

You need to compare the different elements of the frame. Presumably your 56cm is the effective top tube, not seat tube?

Geometries for the older Eqs pre 2016 (sized with a number rather than a letter)
https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/genesis-equilibrium-2011/

cyberknight

Which is sort of my point. Simply choosing a "56 cm" frame may not be as easy as it appears. In this case the published "frame size" is 53 cm (M/L) but the effective top tube size is 56 cm.

indeed , all my bikes are a 54 TT but the measurement for size on the seat tube range from 48 to 52

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the "Reach" measurement on a frame geometry is the best comparator between different style / manufacturers frames.

the supplier of the original "bike fit" is charlatan and want shooting for leaving the hoods at that angle. Even if he felt he needed to rotate the bars to achieve "something" for the OP, and we have no ideas on his flexibility / mobility / physical limitations or otherwise, the hoods should have been moved and the bars rewrapped.

the bar shape isnt helping, the OP they are quite long drop what i call traditional / old school bars, and the tops are not parallel with the drops, which I've emphasizde with my squiggles

1718888663905.png

compared to these which are "compact" bars and much better IMHO. Also note the hoods on this are an extension of the tops, which is ideal for comfort.
1718888906032.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Did he fit you on your actual bike as he mentions a jig?
you may also want to edit your email address from the screenshot on a public forum ;)

Top Bottom