Hoods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
I had a bike fit the other day because my neck was hurting on long rides. He changed the height on the handle bars moved them so the end of the bars are facing down instead over being parallel and the hoods are right up in the air has anyone seen a set up like this ?

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Here is the bike in question.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240615_094332_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240615_094332_Chrome.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 160

ExBrit

Über Member
This is a common way to raise the brake hoods so you have a more upright position. It's hard to tell from the photo but it looks like your stem has a lot of rise to it already, which would have been another option. I'm not sure if you can utilize the chimney on the steerer, which is another option.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's a bit of a piss poor bike fit IMHO.
Should be looking at a short reach bar to reduce reach and although the stem is a riser it's looks long anyway ?

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
It feels OK a bit strange when you're out of the saddle because of the height. What the bike fitter said that the angle of the bars with the ends pointing towards the rear hub is the correct way. I haven't seen any bars with hoods that far up it looks strange. Have you seen any?

ExBrit

Über Member
It feels OK a bit strange when you're out of the saddle because of the height. What the bike fitter said that the angle of the bars with the ends pointing towards the rear hub is the correct way. I haven't seen any bars with hoods that far up it looks strange. Have you seen any?

Cyberknight's point about a short stem is a good one. Stems are not expensive.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I did reduce the stem from 100mm to 80mm but he said that's why my neck was hurting as I was to far forward on the bike. He put a longer stem but with more of an angle and turned the handle bars so that they were in the position you see in the photo and moved the hoods up.

cyberknight

The fitter is wrong angle of the bars is nothing to do with the hoods , old school was when riding on hoods the end if the stem hides the hub. Setting it up like that means your liable to get bad wrists and can't use the drops even if you want to

Last edited:

cyberknight

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
These are the measurements he sent me for future reference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240619_201241_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_201241_OneDrive.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I think I'll go back to the bike fitter or ask some other shop for there opinion hopefully they don't want £150 just to have a quick look.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
IMO your bars are now angled about right, but the brakes are mounted way too high. Only solution is to move the brake levers to a more sensible position and rewrap the bars.

I just checked my bars to confirm it and I have set mine to about the same angle (but much lower stem). I'll take a pic....

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Your bars look like the ends are facing the top tube horizontal mine are facing down to the down tube. Plus now the height of the handlebars are so high when I get out of the saddle it seems dangerous as I don't have much control. And your right the hoods are way to high in my opinion. I've emailed the shop who did the bike fit I think he's going to stick with his opinion on the fit as he won’t want to be wrong.

Top Bottom