Gordon Ramsay down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Priest of the cult of Chris Rea
What do you think of the helmet compulsion brigade?
(there are plenty of them, including amongst regular cyclists ...)

You literally just quoted me saying I don't always wear a helmet, so obviously I support individual choice for adults.

I've just looked more closely at the GR reports.
He actually asks parents to "please wear a helmet" and says about children: "they've got to wear a helmet".
This seems a rather less contentious statement.
For one thing, infants have soft skulls, and children don't generally have the strength and resilience of young adults. They also make a lot of loud whinging then they hurt themselves, so strapping protection to children seems a reasonable idea, if no other reason than the parents' sanity.

Meanwhile, what did Gordon actually do?
He thanks "Trauma surgeons" for caring for him, but states he had no broken bones or major injuries.
Seems like he fell off his bike and got a bruise*? Typical (ex-footballing) primadonna! What a wuss!

*albeit an impressively heavy bruise!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
To be fair its all an act, if you watch any of his 'shouty' shows especially the american ones he seems like a different person to what hes actually like. That said I do think he can't cook!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IMItGHeOpE

I think there is one thing you can safely say about Gordon Ramsey is that he can cook. Cheffing is mostly still a progression through the ranks, although there are a number of "Executive Chefs" who maybe haven't been on the right end of a potato peeler at the start of their career. Gordon has risen from the lowest to the highest in the kitchen via his attention to detail, boundless energy and desire to improve from whatever level he was at.

Not too sure where, but I've read some very complimentary things about Gordon as a person. I know that a commercial kitchen environment can be very pressurised, and that has justified a bullying attitude from many a head chef, particularly where excellence is mandated, and therefore Gordon has become a bit of a figurehead for those unable to consider how much a more gentle approach would be beneficial. He has also been a financial disaster zone, and seems to need those who are more commercially aware to direct him, but as a person and a Dad, he has gained a lot of positive reaction.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
He actually asks parents to "please wear a helmet" and says about children: "they've got to wear a helmet".
This seems a rather less contentious statement.
For one thing, infants have soft skulls, and children don't generally have the strength and resilience of young adults. They also make a lot of loud whinging then they hurt themselves, so strapping protection to children seems a reasonable idea, if no other reason than the parents' sanity.
ea06996d67d7ae2c47e56550631e206f.jpg

:wacko:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Have you ever tried wearing a modern bicycle helmet?
Yes.

Mine doesn't weigh enough to really notice, and has zero effect on my hearing or vision. And I've never caught my head on anything while cycling, with or without a helmat.
Cool story. I'm assuming: that's not an Emperor's New Helmet yet you won't tell us how much it weighs; that you're surprised sellers of things like Helmet Angels and Cat Ears don't go bankrupt because there's no demand for them; and that either you're short or they build bridges and shoot taller and cut the hedges back higher near you.

Alex321

Guru
Yes.

Cool story. I'm assuming: that's not an Emperor's New Helmet yet you won't tell us how much it weighs; that you're surprised sellers of things like Helmet Angels and Cat Ears don't go bankrupt because there's no demand for them; and that either you're short or they build bridges and shoot taller and cut the hedges back higher near you.

I didn't specify the actual weight because I couldn't be bothered looking it up.

Having done so, it is 325 grams (which is more than I would have expected actually, from the feel of it).

It doesn't in any way cover my ears, nor do most of the cycling helmets I have seen. Some have a flap (usually detachable) that goes in the triangle of the straps, but most just have an open area over the ear.

And while I'm not particularly tall, most of the roads I ride on get used regularly by agricultural vehicles which are way taller than I am, and don't leave much hanging over the road aat head height for a cyclist. There is one bridge overa cycle path on my commute where I tend to duck my head, though I don't think I really need to, even there.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Having done so, it is 325 grams
So it's actually heavier than the one I used to wear that ended up injuring me. It's worth remembering that turning Force is proportional to Mass x Distance from pivot, which is the wearer's neck. It's not simply making your head a third-full bag of sugar heavier, it's like hanging that bag from the furthest point of your head.

It doesn't in any way cover my ears, nor do most of the cycling helmets I have seen. Some have a flap (usually detachable) that goes in the triangle of the straps, but most just have an open area over the ear.
Some people are half-deafened by the wind whistling over the strap in front of the ear. It's more irresponsible than riding with open-back headphones on, because at least users can mute the music or take them off quickly.

lazybloke

Priest of the cult of Chris Rea
Some people are half-deafened by the wind whistling over the strap in front of the ear. It's more irresponsible than riding with open-back headphones on, because at least users can mute the music or take them off quickly.

Blimey, irresponsible?

Waat do you think of motorcycling headgear?!

Not something helmets mitigate. But you knew that 😁
Conveniently ignoring my joke/sarcastic comment about judgement being impaired, the chances are that if you'd had concussion following a head bang while wearing a helmet you'd have probably/possibly been worse off without one. I speak as someone who has totalled two helmets and been hospitalised twice with concussion after falls on hard surfaces but did not have a scratch on my head.

Unless you believe that gravity and momentum can be ignored and heads would magically stop an inch or two above the floor if they were not wearing helmets.

I am not a helmet compulsion fanatic and don't wear one on every journey. You pays your money (or not) and you takes your choice.

classic33

Leg End Member
So it's actually heavier than the one I used to wear that ended up injuring me. It's worth remembering that turning Force is proportional to Mass x Distance from pivot, which is the wearer's neck. It's not simply making your head a third-full bag of sugar heavier, it's like hanging that bag from the furthest point of your head.

Now spread that weight over the top of your head, instead of placing it in one spot on the top of your head.
At least you've realised that there's very few cycle helmets that weigh a kilo or more. Even full face ones.
What way, in your situation, is the head turning? The neck is generally a vertical pivot point, with a degree of for and aft flexing.

Was Gordon wearing a helmet that deafened him, or earphones?

Because what this is about is a cyclist, who you may or may not like, being involved in a collision. But you're not bothered about that.

Read through the various rider down/accident threads on here. How many had a go a poster on here for what they were/weren't wearing at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom