Gordon Ramsay down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
I was told that if I'd been wearing a helmet when I was most seriously hit there's a good chance I'd have lost a large part of my left ear.

Not that it takes anything away from your experience but... I rolled over some construction equipment once and if I'd been wearing the seatbelt I wouldn't have had the time to escape being crushed along with the seat.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Do we actually know what caused him to fall off? Was he hit by a car?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've never yet seen anyone who came off their bike and whacked their head who said "see - I told you helmets were pointless!"
People who fall off are much less likely to whack their head if they don't make it bigger and heavier by strapping a weight to it. They're also less likely to catch their head on things as they ride by, more able to hear clearly and have none of their field of vision obscured.

icowden

Veteran
People who fall off are much less likely to whack their head if they don't make it bigger and heavier by strapping a weight to it. They're also less likely to catch their head on things as they ride by, more able to hear clearly and have none of their field of vision obscured.

I don't know what kind of helmet you think people wear...

87e697fd-b1b2-4166-b1e5-04e0cbc73aca_1920x1080.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I didn't wear a helmet on my 65 mile ride last weekend, nor on short ad hoc utility rides, nor even when commuting in parts of London (the cycle lanes can be that good). The rest of the time I often do wear a helmet - not because I'm under any misguided notion that a layer of polystyrene will ward off a significant impact but because it will lessen the pain and grazing associated with a light impact.

I wear gloves for the same reason.
The anti-helmet brigade are weird. Will they tell me to stop wearing gloves next? Or shoes? Or sunblock? Or any of those other things that gives us a small measure of protection?

They're also less likely to catch their head on things as they ride by, more able to hear clearly and have none of their field of vision obscured
You're wearing it wrong!

I didn't wear a helmet on my 65 mile ride last weekend, nor on short ad hoc utility rides, nor even when commuting in parts of London (the cycle lanes can be that good). The rest of the time I often do wear a helmet - not because I'm under any misguided notion that a layer of polystyrene will ward off a significant impact but because it will lessen the pain and grazing associated with a light impact.

I wear gloves for the same reason.
The anti-helmet brigade are weird.

What do you think of the helmet compulsion brigade?
(there are plenty of them, including amongst regular cyclists ...)

Alex321

Guru

Have you ever tried wearing a modern bicycle helmet?

Mine doesn't weigh enough to really notice, and has zero effect on my hearing or vision. And I've never caught my head on anything while cycling, with or without a helmat.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm not sure where all the negativity towards GR comes from. He's not my favourite TV personality but he does what he does quite well. A bit like Clarkson, he has maintained his shouty persona and probably exaggerated it for the cameras, but in other programmes he comes across as an ok guy. I'm surprised he didn't take more verbal swings at the driver of the car, but for all we know GR could have been at fault. Perhaps if this had happened to Jeremy Vine it would have been a different story. Maybe some people just accept getting knocked off as an every day risk if you cycle, which certainly isn't sending out the right message

And I've never caught my head on anything while cycling, with or without a helmat.

There is an arched underpass on my nearest Sustrans route - if you don't like traffic then this route is a no-brainer for getting out of town.
There is only room to stand up straight across about half the path/track. I once got a bit blasé and caught my head on the roof. Bit of a shock, but no real harm...
Now if you'd added a couple of cm to my head-size with a helmet, I doubt I'd have stayed upright. Probably a load of other minor injuries (including possible banging my head on the railing, even a drowning risk!). And quite possibly would have hit it hard enough for a concussion.

(My other two head impacts as an adult were caused by drivers. A lifetime of riding on many surfaces.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom