Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
Looks a bit like Haldon Forest to me, is it the B3192 Colley Lane, looking north?

robjh

Legendary Member
No-one has got it yet, but the particular forest has been mentioned in these responses. As I said, I'll accept any close-enough answer, as my photo was taken 2 years after the current streetview image and the tree-yness changed considerably in that time.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've just been looking at Thetford forest again, the B1106 between Brandon and Elvedon. It's almost dead straight with a very subtle wiggle that seems to correspond to something in the pic. CAn't see the undulations in Streetview, but the road does cross a number of contour lines on the OS map?
There are some sign posts on that road warning of cycles. Can't see the little layby.

Something like this ? https://goo.gl/maps/cC6PzJQy37VrVtn18 Not convinced!

Last edited:

Trickedem

Guru
I've looked at every road in Cannock Chase, Sherwood Forest, Thetford Forest, Ringwood Forest and Wareham Forest and just can't seem to place this one. @robjh can I have another clue please?

Tribansman

Veteran
I've just been looking at Thetford forest again, the B1106 between Brandon and Elvedon. It's almost dead straight with a very subtle wiggle that seems to correspond to something in the pic. CAn't see the undulations in Streetview, but the road does cross a number of contour lines on the OS map?
There are some sign posts on that road warning of cycles. Can't see the little layby.

Something like this ? https://goo.gl/maps/cC6PzJQy37VrVtn18 Not convinced!

Again, not convinced, but I reckon it may be parallel-ish to @lazybloke's guess....is it the B1007 near the golf club (there are a couple of warning triangles....?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KArQ5XrA7Dsj2xfu9

Trickedem

Guru
Again, not convinced, but I reckon it may be parallel-ish to @lazybloke's guess....is it the B1007 near the golf club (there are a couple of warning triangles....?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KArQ5XrA7Dsj2xfu9
The dip in the road doesn't seem pronounced enough and the landscape doesn't quite fit either. In the far distance, the road appears to cut through the forest for quite some way in a straight line too.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm not even sure it is Thetford area. The comments neither confirm nor deny....

We know the area has been mentioned here, so have a few clues to follow, eg Thetford, Ringwood, Wareham, Forest of Dean, Kielder, Jedburgh and others.

I'd done a few searches of Kielder area previously, but revisited it (extensively) last night after noticing that @robjh had toured there in 2017 (and had provided a link to the route). This also seemed to chime with the feedback to @roubaixtuesday about nearby Jedburgh.
Felt like I was close to finding the place, but after 2 hours of searching I was still scratching my head!

Am trying to go by the geography rather than the flora, but I could have gone right past it. Or I might be looking in completely the wrong area.

I'm sure it's not healthy to spend sooooo long looking at maps!

robjh

Legendary Member
I feel I need to put an end to the misery - I realised it was going to be hard as soon as I found the place on streetview, as it's changed quite a lot.
It's Penkridge Bank Road in Cannock Chase, looking NE on a summer evening.

Streetview shows
1604437633877.png

In my picture, the trees on the right have been felled, and the heavy zoom and cropping on the photo has exaggerated the undulations on the road. You can see halfway down on the left the same layby, and the same 'skidding car' warning sign, and the stand of trees behind that is in much the same place.

Well done to searchers @Trickedem , @lazybloke , @Tribansman , @roubaixtuesday for trying. I'll post another one shortly.

Trickedem

Guru
I'm not even sure it is Thetford area. The comments neither confirm nor deny....

We know the area has been mentioned here, so have a few clues to follow, eg Thetford, Ringwood, Wareham, Forest of Dean, Kielder, Jedburgh and others.

I'd done a few searches of Kielder area previously, but revisited it (extensively) last night after noticing that @robjh had toured there in 2017 (and had provided a link to the route). This also seemed to chime with the feedback to @roubaixtuesday about nearby Jedburgh.
Felt like I was close to finding the place, but after 2 hours of searching I was still scratching my head!

Am trying to go by the geography rather than the flora, but I could have gone right past it. Or I might be looking in completely the wrong area.

I'm sure it's not healthy to spend sooooo long looking at maps!
Well I enjoyed looking
I feel I need to put an end to the misery - I realised it was going to be hard as soon as I found the place on streetview, as it's changed quite a lot.
It's Penkridge Bank Road in Cannock Chase, looking NE on a summer evening.

Streetview shows
View attachment 556320
In my picture, the trees on the right have been felled, and the heavy zoom and cropping on the photo has exaggerated the undulations on the road. You can see halfway down on the left the same layby, and the same 'skidding car' warning sign, and the stand of trees behind that is in much the same place.

Well done to searchers @Trickedem , @lazybloke , @Tribansman , @roubaixtuesday for trying. I'll post another one shortly.
Well I really enjoyed the search.

Top Bottom