Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I did a little hitch-hiking when I was of a suitable age and status - I'm sure there are loads on this forum who have tales to tell so that's another thread that probably ought to happen if it hasn't already.

I still have a few of my own photos to use, and here's another. Plenty of scope here for clues once I've managed to compose them, but maybe someone will spot it instantly. You never can tell...

View attachment 555071
First guess based on nothing more than intuition is somewhere in the Minchinhampton/Badminton area?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
First guess based on nothing more than intuition is somewhere in the Minchinhampton/Badminton area?
The picture was taken in early October a few years ago, late morning.

On the right you can see a long barrow which sounds as though it's occupied by someone big in neolithic times.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Why do I even try??
You did manage to misread a number of signs, but we've all been there.

One of the suggestions made so far was spectacularly close, and it was difficult to know how to react to that without giving the game away completely. One additional clue: the watercourse in the foreground is a headwater of a river which shares it's name with many others, and is forever associated with one of the greatest Britons.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You did manage to misread a number of signs, but we've all been there.

One of the suggestions made so far was spectacularly close, and it was difficult to know how to react to that without giving the game away completely. One additional clue: the watercourse in the foreground is a headwater of a river which shares it's name with many others, and is forever associated with one of the greatest Britons.

OK, so now I'm right on it.

River must be Avon, famous Briton Shakespeare. Barrow suggests Salisbury, through which the Avon passes.

A close search of the headwaters of the Avon above Pewsey, however, whilst scatologically rich (Cock Lane, cuckoo's knob) reveals no barrows.

OK, back to "spectacularly close" guess. Minchinhampton is bleedin miles from Pewsey. Why don't I pay attention?

Right. Just south of Minchinhampton is... Avening! There's an unnamed (on OS) river running through, but it *must* be an Avon, right? Another fruitless search for barrows commences, this time not even leavened by cuckoo's knobs.

OK, so Badminton? There's a river just north, and hey presto! Giants cave long Barrow!! GOTCHA!!!

Following the river downstream we find Bradford upon Avon, and Streetview gives us, heading west from Luckington:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Perfectly done, @roubaixtuesday. I get the impression you enjoyed that in the end...

The famous Briton is obviously not Shakespeare, but I made sure it would sound as though it could be. By the way, who was it?

Over to you now.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The famous Briton is obviously not Shakespeare, but I made sure it would sound as though it could be. By the way, who was it?
Brunel?

Tribansman

Veteran
OK, so now I'm right on it.

River must be Avon, famous Briton Shakespeare. Barrow suggests Salisbury, through which the Avon passes.

A close search of the headwaters of the Avon above Pewsey, however, whilst scatologically rich (Cock Lane, cuckoo's knob) reveals no barrows.

OK, back to "spectacularly close" guess. Minchinhampton is bleedin miles from Pewsey. Why don't I pay attention?

Right. Just south of Minchinhampton is... Avening! There's an unnamed (on OS) river running through, but it *must* be an Avon, right? Another fruitless search for barrows commences, this time not even leavened by cuckoo's knobs.

OK, so Badminton? There's a river just north, and hey presto! Giants cave long Barrow!! GOTCHA!!!

Following the river downstream we find Bradford upon Avon, and Streetview gives us, heading west from Luckington:

View attachment 555144

Damn it, I'd identified Giant's Cave from Google but couldn't place the exact spot on street view :cursing:

That's very impressive persistence and reasoning @roubaixtuesday 👍

Top Bottom