Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm still working on it... I really feel like I should know it, but can't quite place it. I'm sure that I WILL track it down soonish, if somebody else doesn't beat me to it!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I did wonder if this was looking west towards the sea, and what appear to be pylons on the horizon made me think of Heysham.. but the shadows suggest this is in a different direction.

I'm not certain if those curved "get back in lane" arrows are used on minor roads... could this be an A-road? That would narrow down the seach a bit. Might have another look later.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I did wonder if this was looking west towards the sea, and what appear to be pylons on the horizon made me think of Heysham.. but the shadows suggest this is in a different direction.
Pretty much the opposite direction, and pretty much the opposite end of the county
I'm not certain if those curved "get back in lane" arrows are used on minor roads... could this be an A-road? That would narrow down the search a bit. Might have another look later.
It is a B road but it's not really a minor road either

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Aargh!

I'm pretty sure that it is the hill that I immediately thought of and I know what direction we must be looking in, but I can't quite track down the road.

When you say 'B' road, do you literally mean the Bxxxx, or just a significant road not classified as an A-road?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

yes... it also has names
I've been limiting my search to the Bxxxx roads so I wanted to make sure that it would show up!

It's an interesting one. I really feel that I should have got it by now. I don't want to give away the hill to check that I am looking at the right one.

There really can't be many possible B-roads. I'll get back to the OS map and Streetview...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The B6236 heading eastwards towards Haslingden:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

View attachment 555053

Well done sir!

And can I just add that I hate and despise you for it? In a good way, you understand ;)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

View attachment 555053
Correct :okay:

I used to hitchhike from Lancaster to Rossendale regularly, which took anything between an hour and a day. Then one day i got picked up by a guy who was a keen cyclist, and i was talking about the woes of hitchhiking, and he suggested i cycled the 45 miles instead of hitchhiking. Naively, I thought bike rides were 10 miles max for us mortals, but he told me otherwsie so i gave it a go. Naively, I cycled the very same route i used to hitchhike; the busiest... A6 to Preston, under the M6 at the Tickled Trout to Blackburn, over this road to Haslingden (it should be called the Accrington South Bypass!) and into Rossendale proper. It was 25 years ago and my first 'big' ride.

Back to you :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Pardon my French... OFFS! :laugh:

I searched that one and the Grane Rd 2 or 3 times each, but I didn't go quite close enough to Haslingden!

I nearly got wiped out on that stretch of road finishing a 200 km audax in the dark! :eek:

The clincher for me was the two lunatic drivers racing each other who nearly killed me on the North West Passage in 2007. I had reflective gear on and fairly bright lights on the bike but the first driver still passed me going scarily fast and only a couple of feet away. His mate was gaining on him and went by so close that I was blown sideways off the road by the shock wave. It was very clear to me that I wasn't enjoying myself and that I didn't want to die up there alone on the hills.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I did a little hitch-hiking when I was of a suitable age and status - I'm sure there are loads on this forum who have tales to tell so that's another thread that probably ought to happen if it hasn't already.

I still have a few of my own photos to use, and here's another. Plenty of scope here for clues once I've managed to compose them, but maybe someone will spot it instantly. You never can tell...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was using Memory Map to remind myself if Pendle Hill was visible from that road...

Pendle Hill has a very distinctive shape so I thought that is what was we were looking at. We had to be looking from the SW-ish.

I could also just about see the Coal Clough windfarm on the right of the picture. That is on the Long Causeway from Hebden Bridge towards Burnley, on the hills above Todmorden. It was one of the first windfarms in the country, and was being built when I was commuting that way.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I did a little hitch-hiking when I was of a suitable age and status - I'm sure there are loads on this forum who have tales to tell so that's another thread that probably ought to happen if it hasn't already.

I still have a few of my own photos to use, and here's another. Plenty of scope here for clues once I've managed to compose them, but maybe someone will spot it instantly. You never can tell...

View attachment 555071

Aha, an easy one!

There are leaves on the trees, though not all of them, and not the hedges. Long shadows, so it must be morning or evening in late April/ early May. I'm betting morning from the light.

Shadows from the left, therefore looking South, or perhaps southwest.

Narrow road. No markings.

I confidently state then that it's a minor road in the UK heading south/southwest ish.

Other than that, no bleedin idea. Could be bloody anywhere.

I shall await clues.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I could also just about see the Coal Clough windfarm on the right of the picture. That is on the Long Causeway from Hebden Bridge towards Burnley, on the hills above Todmorden. It was one of the first windfarms in the country, and was being built when I was commuting that way.
I think the "Long Causeway" must have some gravitation anomaly, my searches kept ending up there. Cougha Fell appeared regularly too.
To be honest I'm glad to be looking somewhere else now, although I have not the slightest clue where to start.

Top Bottom