Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Is it Sharpbendon Rd? :whistle:

I'd been using the Garmin for a while before noticing those warnings. Presumably they're aimed at Froome, or anyone else who adopt a 'staring at the stem' riding style. I prefer to look where I'm going.

The warning has also obscured the time of day, which was 4:09 pm and that is today's clue.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's a giveaway. I've just patrolled quite a lot of similar looking roads and didn't find it but someone will soon.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.4...4!1sTnfC4tqae30Qe8ClLP1d1w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
1684076400915.png

Google informed me that The Road to Roberton by WIll H Oglivie contains the line "The winding road to Roberton is little marked of wheels,"

So it was a case of (a) finding Roberton and (b) finding the correct winding road.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.4...4!1sTnfC4tqae30Qe8ClLP1d1w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
View attachment 689567
Google informed me that The Road to Roberton by WIll H Oglivie contains the line "The winding road to Roberton is little marked of wheels,"

So it was a case of (a) finding Roberton and (b) finding the correct winding road.

A road with not just a name but its own poem. Unfortunately (for NTR competitors) neither the OS nor googlemaps names the road.
Out of shot to the right is a knoll on which there used to be a bronze memorial to Ogilvie. It was stolen by metal thieves a few years ago and hasn't been replaced.
The poem, for anyone interested, can be found at
https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/road-roberton/

Over to you @Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Because this doesn't have a huge amount of visual clues, I've included the little map thingy from streetmap.

1684085602414.png

It's on an infernal audax. That isn't being run this year (to be honest I don't know when it was last run)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That hill to the right is very steep. Almost sheer, some say.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Should be easy. You don't have to go over maps with a fine tooth comb even a quick glance should reveal the name of the lane.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Coombe lane, staple lane junction?

Bingo! You have it. (Except my map says Combe Lane not Coombe).

Other clues were: "Infernal Audax" =Ditchling Devil; "Sheer, some say" = Shere, which is just to the south and "fine tooth comb even"=Combe Lane

Next clue was going to be "about a mile south of a vinyard" (High Clandon Estate)

Over to you.

Phew, I don't have to keep an eye on the thread any more.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Bingo! You have it. (Except my map says Combe Lane not Coombe).

Other clues were: "Infernal Audax" =Ditchling Devil; "Sheer, some say" = Shere, which is just to the south and "fine tooth comb even"=Combe Lane

Next clue was going to be "about a mile south of a vinyard" (High Clandon Estate)

Over to you.

Phew, I don't have to keep an eye on the thread any more.
Spellings are from memory.

The photo looked very familiar at first glance, but i was thrown by the camera distortion and also by the inset map showing byways as roads. Am v familiar with that junction, so its been on my mind all day!
Your clues went right over my head - never knew of a vineyard, although there is a brewery about 1 min to the north; I've met the owner a few times and used to have neighbouring allotments; he brings polypins to social events!

Next pic ... I've got a place in mind and will post it after work. Just need to check I've not posted it elsewhere on the site.

Top Bottom