Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
My first clue is that the NTR is not in Cheshire:laugh:

Willd

Guru
My OS maps are from 2015 and 2016 and do not show the new estate either so I looked at Rothersthorpe Rd, a km to the east, but didn't try Kislingbury Road.
Mine are that old they're missing the A14, M42 etc. :rolleyes: I tend to use them in conjunction with Streetmap :okay:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I immediately thought of the Devil's Punchbowl in Surrey, but firstly there's been no actual road on the old alignment for some years now, and secondly the other landscape features don't match. This looks more like northern/upland Britain.

I can understand your thinking, but @GuyBoden's NTR is more of a tight elbow over a v-shaped stream valley. The Devil's Punchbowl feels more like a half-amphitheatre, the radius of the road bend was 150m or so.

This photo from wikipedia shows the old road before it closed circa 2011.
1671790762453.png

GuyBoden

Guru
For once the satellite view is the most informative:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...x8f158f8d4f8b4cae!8m2!3d52.512112!4d-3.313106

View attachment 672038

It's a road I've often thought of using here, but it difficult to find an adequate capture from Google, a problem which @GuyBoden has handsomely solved. You've saved me a trip there with my camera!

Excellent, a great bit of finding . Very impressive :okay:

This A road was the easiest route with a touring bike, tent and full panniers, when riding from Warrington to south Wales in the 1980's, there was a lot less traffic then. Too much of a distance for my old legs nowadays.

Over to you:okay:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks @GuyBoden. Back in the 1980s one of my favourite YHs for a single night away was Clun; I would head up from Bristol via Hereford and return via Builth Wells and Abergavenny. There were various ways of reaching the Wye from the Clun valley, but the grand loops was to head over to Newtown and pick up the A483. In those days I never thought twice about routing myself along such roads.

Anyway, here's the next. I think it's fairly obscure, and as an experiment, I'm happy to run this on a "20 questions" basis, where questions must have a definitive yes or no answer. So "is it anywhere near the Scottish border" won't get a proper answer.

Almost forgot, here's the picture:

Straight.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have my suspicions, but I don't want to give you any clues before... @Sea of vapours tells you where it is! :whistle:

I have my suspicions, but I don't want to give you any clues before... @Sea of vapours tells you where it is! :whistle:
Hmm.... I thought I recognised it immediately, but I failed to pinpoint it so I'll have another look. It certainly does /look/ local to me ...

EDIT: Also, @Aravis asserted that [he thinks] this is 'fairly obscure', and I'm not sure that that really applies to the Dales, Forest of Bowland or North Pennines, which is what I'm primarily familiar with and is what it does, most certainly, look like, so I assumed I was being misled.

So, to @Aravis, following the twenty questions experiment: is this in, or of, any of the three areas I've named above?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
EDIT: Also, @Aravis asserted that [he thinks] this is 'fairly obscure', and I'm not sure that that really applies to the Dales, Forest of Bowland or North Pennines, which is what I'm primarily familiar with and is what it does, most certainly, look like, so I assumed I was being misled.

I thought the same about 'obscure' but thought that it might be an obscure road in a popular area! :laugh:

Ok, my question then... Are those 3 objects in the distance to the right of the road wind turbines?

Top Bottom