Films that have surprisingly/secretly made your Top 10 List

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just about anything with Terry Thomas in..... genius
T-T_in_the_Bing_Crosby_Show%2C_1961.jpg

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
what's your verdict on Goodbye Mr Chips (The Robert Donat one)?

Sentimental tosh... I love it! ^_^

Mention of Terry-Thomas reminds me of another old favourite: School For Scoundrels.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Mine are three animations by Japan's Studio Ghibli: My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea - the best thing about having a child is that sometimes you get to watch surprisingly beautiful things that evade cynicism. Oh, and only in the original Japanese versions (we're a bilingual family) because the American dubs mess with the soundtrack, in the case of Kiki's Delivery Service even replacing the perfect happy 50s throwback theme-song with something much less effective.

I utterly adore Kiki, definitely my favourite Ghibli film.

Agreed re the soundtracks - I don't speak a word of Japanese but I much prefer to watch them with subtitles rather than dubbed - there's something about the sound of the Japanese voices that seems to suit them much better.

U

User6179

The Man from Earth.
from imdb ,
An impromptu goodbye party for Professor John Oldman becomes a mysterious interrogation after the retiring scholar reveals to his colleagues he never ages and has walked the earth for 14,000 years.

gbb

Squire
Come and See, Russian war film depicting the Nazi atrocities. Remarkably graphic and realistic, possibly the best WW2 film I ever saw. Subtitled in english, my wife hates that but I think it gives a film more realism.
Klimov, i think was the director.

Toy Story film...I just love em.

Cant remember the name or find it..a film about a bunch of guys in a small poor US community who go into the forest and find a crashed plane..stuffed with CIA money. A small lie becomes a bigger one until its completely out of control, leads to murder, loss of lifelong friendships, marriage etc.
I only watched it on a whim...ended up spellbound.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Carry On Up The Khyber

View attachment 27378

A but the greatest carry on film of them all is a masterpeice so doesn't count.

"There's nothing to be afraid of.....ooh I dunno " as said by the Khazi at the end..

Mind you, Carry on Cleo gives it a run for it's mony - knocks the ponderous liz taylor / buron version into a cocked hat.
"Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite vanity " - how's that for a line !
Oh , hang on, that's from summat else - "Infamy, infamy.... They've all got it infa me" is the one aI was thinking of

Anyhow, back on topic I propose

"Two lane blacktop" - a cult masterpeice, with the great Warreno Oates on top form.
The whole script could fit on the back of a beer mat. Is is my all time favourite film, though I'm not claiming it's the greatest or best film.

The cast are listed as "driver", "mechanic", "girl", and "GTO" - the warren Oates character (his car)
Must have seen it a dozen times at least.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Love Actually.

Complete and utter sentimental codswallap. I love it.

TwoPosts

The Iron Giant is in my top ten.

Bambi, Toy Story 3, no major problems but Vin Diesel as a cartoon robot!!!...I cannot get passed the 'superman' ending without choking.

Anyhow, back on topic I propose

"Two lane blacktop" - a cult masterpeice, with the great Warreno Oates on top form.
The whole script could fit on the back of a beer mat. Is is my all time favourite film, though I'm not claiming it's the greatest or best film.

The cast are listed as "driver", "mechanic", "girl", and "GTO" - the warren Oates character (his car)

Great film!!!
James ('Fire & Rain', 'Rockabye Sweet Baby Jane'') Taylor as the Driver,and Dennis (part-time Beach Boy) Wilson as the Mechanic

That '55 was the same car that Harrison Fords character (Bob Falfa) drove in, the George Lucas film, 'American Grafitti'
It was Fords first big role, he was a Carpenter at the time, & working at Lucas's house when he read for the part

'Graiftti' is certainly not a guilty pleasure for me, it's stil one of my favourite films

Look a the othe stars it helped make;
Richard Dreyfuss
Charles Martin Smith (Untouchables)
Ron Howard (Happy Days)

Wolfman Jack!!!! Already a star when the film was made

Svendo

Guru

Seconded! I remember watching it furtively after lights out on a tiny old B&W TV aged around 12, part of a BBC2 film season. I was struck by it's stark brilliance, fantastic cars and that ending. Didn't see it again until many years later I had internet and access to pirate DVDs on ebay!
Which reminds me I should get round to getting a proper version now its been released here.

I nominate Point Break with K. Reeves P. Swayze and G. Busey, if only for Keanu being described as "young, dumb and full of come!"

wakou

Über Member
Blues Brothers. My favourite film of all time....
Seconded "My Neighbour Totoro"

For a left-field oddity.. Iqbal..... I don't usually like bollywood movies, I just had this on in the bg very late one night on C4...... it is wonderful. (I do love cricket BTW)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453729/

Reactions: 4F

stephec

Squire
A but the greatest carry on film of them all is a masterpeice so doesn't count.

"There's nothing to be afraid of.....ooh I dunno " as said by the Khazi at the end..

Indeed!

And not forgetting, "bullocks Mr Belcher!"

Or, "but you put the tea in the cup before the milk and they go beserk!"

For my selection it's got to be Watership Down, and another vote for the Railway Children.

Top Bottom