Films that have surprisingly/secretly made your Top 10 List

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Legally Blonde
The Dish
Benny and Joon

Great film. Did not know anyone else liked it or had even seen it.

Just a side point - the 1969 moon landing is perhaps the greatest moment in history but The Dish is the only film I can think of that is actually set over the mission time period. Can anyone think of any other?

U

User169

One of my favourite films is Strictly Ballroom, ballroom dancing isn't something that I've ever done or watched and the whole sparkly nonsense surrounding it is gaudy in the extreme. The film is low budget and struggled to get to $3m, the original budget was cut back, the cast was relatively unknown and at one point it looked as though it might not happen at all. The result though is wonderful, just a lovely story with lots of murky history influencing the present and then all chickens coming home to roost at the end, chock full of really well acted scenes - top stuff!

Paul Mercurio went on to write a book about cooking with beer, called, er, "Cooking With Beer"!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Legally blonde.
The Proposal.
Revolving doors.
The Devil wears prada.
actually my list conatins a lot of rom coms
I'm going to stop there!!! Just looking at that list is terrifying :blush:
Most Arnie movies I really enjoy.
I was well impressed with the first shrek movie and like the op I thought Wall E was class.
Schuindlers List... In a slight twist and as a person who likes film and at the risk of going a tiny touch off topic I have to say I put off watching Schindlers List off for 20 years because I didn't think it would be much good and the sheer length of it put me off, now I'm only sorry that I can never watch that film for the first time again. In my opinion it is one of the best films ever made.

Is that Revolving doors or Sliding Doors?

Surprising films in my top ten would include

Hunt for Red October
Crimson Tide
Narrow Margin (the Gene Hackman version)
No Way Out

514GT98BXQL.jpg

One of the funniest, most beautiful of films. £6 on Amazon. Beautiful expressions and subtitles for the hard of seeing.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
One of the funniest, most beautiful of films. £6 on Amazon.

Be £2,435,673 if they paid their tax, might get a copy of that, looks like it might be tres biens innit.

A.I. (perfect if they removed that awful 'american' mecha destroying circus scene )
Talented Mr Ripley
Wings of Desire (not the Nicholas Cage one, obviously)
Mrs Doubtfire
The Assassination of Richard Nixon (Sean Penn at his best)
Barry Lyndon (Kubrick won an Oscar? so maybe not too left field, but a work of genius)

Pixar stuff seems to be going downhill, they probably peaked at Wall E and Up!

Beeankey

Hate romantic comedies and can't abide Hugh Grant as an actor. Find him the same in every single film although he seems a decent chap particularly at the Leveson enquiry.

Saying that I could watch Love Actually every night for some reason even without the wife there. No idea why as it is a million miles away from my top 10 of films.

Hate romantic comedies and can't abide Hugh Grant as an actor. Find him the same in every single film although he seems a decent chap particularly at the Leveson enquiry.

Saying that I could watch Love Actually every night for some reason even without the wife there. No idea why as it is a million miles away from my top 10 of films.

.... oh, and "About a Boy".... the bumbling "Too good looking" Hugh Grant, giving 'that' performance again! He was very age defining was old Hugh, a bit like The Stone Roses and friggin' Spice Girls.

The Wind that Shakes the Barley (Makes me want to cry in parts, but the sincerity and fatalism are well portrayed)
Breakfast on Pluto (Sadly, my entire knowledge of Irish political history is based on these two films)
Nicija Zemlja (No-Man's Land - Bosnian film by Danis Tanovic - widely available with English titles)
The African Queen (Really not sure why, but I just love it)
The Man who killed Liberty Valence (I don't like Westerns usually, but this is not really a Western)

These might seem (in part) to fit my demographic, but no-one else I know thinks them any good at all - and some have seen none of them.

Top Bottom