EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
You only have to look at how quickly Tesla can ramp up production on a model, by looking at their other models.
How fast they "ramped up previous models" isn't relevant. The thing holding them back, according to Musk, is battery production. There's not enough to fill current production which in the case of the Semi will be "ramped up" in 2026, not before, and US customer orders will be given priority. According to Musk.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A bigger bit of news announced today is Tesla Semi will be available worldwide. This will be a seismic shift in HGV trucking

Aren't they going to be a bit tight on weight for UK roads for container transport?
From what I can find out, the maximum total weight for road transport is 44,000kg. Allowing 7,000kg for the chassis, 4,000kg tare for the container, 20,000kg for the load (although this can frequently be heavier) and 10,500kg for the 500 mile range tractor unit you're already at 41,500kg. The only seismic event may be the ground shaking.
I can see the use for lighter palletised type loads and charging can be done during madatory rest periods (assuming there's enough chargers available in the right places), but for the big container haulage jobs from ports not so much.

DRM

Guru
Aren't they going to be a bit tight on weight for UK roads for container transport?
From what I can find out, the maximum total weight for road transport is 44,000kg. Allowing 7,000kg for the chassis, 4,000kg tare for the container, 20,000kg for the load (although this can frequently be heavier) and 10,500kg for the 500 mile range tractor unit you're already at 41,500kg. The only seismic event may be the ground shaking.
I can see the use for lighter palletised type loads and charging can be done during madatory rest periods (assuming there's enough chargers available in the right places), but for the big container haulage jobs from ports not so much.

I also strongly suspect that they will also, like all American bonneted tractor units, will be too big to be used legally any where in Europe or the UK

DRM

Guru

A quick google would suggest a Krone Trailer can weigh around 6,000 kg for a flat bed, 6,700 kg for a curtainsider and 7,600 kg for a refrigerated trailer, the Tesla Tractor unit weighs 9072 kg for the 300 mile range version and the 500 mile range is 10,433 kg, so long range with curtainsider is 17,133 kg before you put anything in it, leaves a load of 26,867 kg also bear in mind any HGV basically needs to be running constantly to earn it’s keep, these will take far longer to turn a profit than current HGV’s,I’ve said it before, these will be no good for tramping or Continental work, until a full network of chargers are in place

Top Bottom