EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Now that the weather has got colder it’s interesting to see the range drops by about 10% when the heater is on.
I’d hate to see real data for an electric car in the middle of a Russian winter.

CXRAndy

Guru
Now that the weather has got colder it’s interesting to see the range drops by about 10% when the heater is on.
I’d hate to see real data for an electric car in the middle of a Russian winter.

If your car has active temperature control for the battery, by running the heating for 20 mins will warm up the battery pack to optimum temp before driving. creating the scenario of summer temps, this will elevate your range. Tesla has a function as do many other EVs for heating the vehicle either with a timer or on demand remotely.

Its 1 deg C this morning so I've popped the heating on our car before we set off

1000016028.jpg

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran

In a YouTube video done by Björn Nyberg a test was performed using a standard range Tesla model three at freezing temperatures. With a full battery the Tesla managed to keep the cabin at a comfortable 70°F for 71 hours. This was while the vehicle was in park simulating the situation that was experienced by many during huge 12 hour traffic jams in the USA on frozen roads. A modern gas car consumes considerably more energy while in park to keep the cabin warm and would not provide the same benefits of an electric vehicle utilizing a modern heat pump.

An actual Tesla driver who was caught in a massive 16-hour traffic jam on I-95 weighed in. "I'm grateful that I was driving my EV when I got stuck on I-95," wrote Model 3 driver Dan Kanninen on the Zero Emission Transportation Association (ZETA) website. He spent 14 hours in his base Model 3, the shortest-range version of that car. He stayed warm (with no engine running, obviously) and was able to stream videos on the car's 15-inch display.

Kanninen had 50 miles of range left after 14 hours. EV drivers often charge at home, he wrote, so "we are less likely to have just a partial charge, unlike drivers who rarely drive on a full tank." En route to a Supercharger station, he saw long lines of cars waiting to fuel up

This is also a great article:-
https://www.torquenews.com/16317/no...o the,winter weather and average temperatures.

Last edited:

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I unleashed 10 minutes of pre-heating on the MG4 this morning, via my phone, and it was very luxurious. Much better than having to traipse outside and start up an engine (then have to take the keys back out of the ignition to lock the house up when I leave).

I'm coping fine with just charging (for free) at work in Derby on Mondays and Tuesdays, then getting through the week, since I work only 6 miles from home on Wednesday-Friday. Our Zappi charger is being installed in three weeks' time. The car's averaging around 4.2mi/kWh, which equates to about 270 miles on a full charge.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I unleashed 10 minutes of pre-heating on the MG4 this morning, via my phone, and it was very luxurious. Much better than having to traipse outside and start up an engine (then have to take the keys back out of the ignition to lock the house up when I leave).
Same here. Car is scheduled to defrost itself, warm the seats and steering wheel and heat the cabin ready for people to leave on school / work run at 7:15am.

Hydrogen will produce electricity using hydrogen produced from the excess wind and solar to be used when solar and wind sources are in their predictable lulls.
Whilst there is massive development in China, it developing very slowly here and in the EU.

Hydrogen will be far more expensive than filling your car with electricity.
We can already see EVs that have price parity with petrol cars.
Where is the hydrogen car that's anywhere near the price of a budget petrol car ?
And then you want people to pay for the fuel.
Figure I've seen is a 60 mile journey would cost about £11.00

That would be about £1.35 for me in an EV.

If hydrogen is part of the answer - why was the Toyota Mirai not a success ? Why have numbers of hydrogen filling stations fallen ?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Hydrogen will be far more expensive than filling your car with electricity.
We can already see EVs that have price parity with petrol cars.
Where is the hydrogen car that's anywhere near the price of a budget petrol car ?
And then you want people to pay for the fuel.
Figure I've seen is a 60 mile journey would cost about £11.00

That would be about £1.35 for me in an EV.

If hydrogen is part of the answer - why was the Toyota Mirai not a success ? Why have numbers of hydrogen filling stations fallen ?

Them. They don't want us to have hydrogen cars.

Not too sure who "they" are. Maybe the Illuminati, or the Global Powers. Possibly E.ON, or Zappi. Or Starmer. Might even be my cat, as I am sure that she is hell-bent on world domination, but will get round to it after her next nap.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Them. They don't want us to have hydrogen cars.

Not too sure who "they" are. Maybe the Illuminati, or the Global Powers. Possibly E.ON, or Zappi. Or Starmer. Might even be my cat, as I am sure that she is hell-bent on world domination, but will get round to it after her next nap.

Probably because Hydrogen fuelled vehicles would contribute to the housing shortage as people would need to keep house bricks in the boot to prevent the vehicles floating away when fully fuelled.

Top Bottom