Dumbed Down, Not Much Of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Squire
reabsorbing threads into cafe isnt the way to do it…..many posts on the diy part of the forum are for longtime projects like @JhnBssll posts about is house, van, garage etc etc and @Colin Grigson house build and my own garden rebuild threads….

those posts would be totally lost in the cafe section and a lot of people have invested time and effort in building them.
I'd agree. The DIY thread for instance can sit idle for days, maybe even weeks, but its easily found within its sub forum. Itd get lost forever in a larger area like cafe....
I enjoy, and am sure many other do, contributing and extracting experiences to quite specific subjects.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The problem is, Colin,that not everyone uses the forum as you do. For example, I don't.

I never use the "new posts" facility. I just go to the subforums that I have traditionally found interesting.

It would be helpful to know if most people use Colin's approach or mine

If it's mine, I think there is a strong argument for reabsorbing a lot of the special interest subforums back into Cafe
One thing about them being separated the way that they are is that you can easily permanently hide topics that you are not interested in. For example... (checks)... I don't ever see any of the content in Tandems, Pets, Helmets, Motoring... (28 in total).

If helmet discussions ended up back somewhere else, the only way I could hide them would be if they were limited to just one huge thread which I could set to ignore or else I would have to ignore every helmet thread individually as it appeared.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'd agree. The DIY thread for instance can sit idle for days, maybe even weeks, but its easily found within its sub forum. Itd get lost forever in a larger area like cafe....
I enjoy, and am sure many other do, contributing and extracting experiences to quite specific subjects.
Totally agree………

I do have a point and being trained in complaints management by the public ombudsman for wales means my point is valid…
no it means you think your point is valid , it may be , it may not be, but i do know this, who , when and where you had whatever training has no bearing whatsoever on whether any point you make on cyclechat is valid or not.
you agreed to abide by the rules as set by the sight owner when you joined , it is that simple.

jowwy

you agreed to abide by the rules as set by the sight owner when you joined , it is that simple.
whats that got to do with reporting abusive posts???? It actually says in the rules that i signed up to, to report offensive posts and not to react to them within the thread. So therfore im obeying by the rules as set by the site owner.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I am amazed that people go into each sub-forum in turn to see what is happening. I just browse through New posts then Mark forums read. I don't care where the threads actually reside.

But... anybody who particularly wants to limit themselves to a sub-forum or two can do that instead if they prefer to.

I can't see the problem.

That’s my approach, see what’s new or search for a thread I want to post in. The thread Game: Name That Road I do have set on alert for replies. mostly because it never seems to appear when I search. Then all the alerts happen when I’m out on my bike!

whats that got to do with reporting abusive posts????
about as much as this ...
being trained in complaints management by the public ombudsman for wales means my point is valid…

and for the record i never said it had anything to do with reporting abusive posts ,i struggle to understand why you think otherwise i said just because you have been trained by whoever , whenever does not mean your point on a cycling forum , or any other come to think of it, is valid,

serious question , why do you think being trained in complaints management by the public ombudsman for wales means your point is valid

and to make it easier to understand, and just to help out... this post also has nothing to do with reporting abusive posts

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'd never used the "New Posts" button before. Very useful, I like that.
It’s what I use all the time, then I just click on any new ones of interest.

can see this stuff being used pretty soon...
You started the thread complaining of the place being dumbed down and not much of interest going on and this is your response?

Part of the problem or part of the solution?

This sort of point has often been put forward, usually, but not always, by those who would not describe themselves as "lefties".

There are two options; use that as a reason not to join in, or, join in and improve the balance.
Sorry, Rusty, no. Just no.
In the old NACA the personal abuse dished out for having the temerity to not agree 100% was unpleasant. Often from those on the sidelines.
A significant malignant characteristic was that if someone did go too far no-one from their "side", "tribe" or whatever label you want to apply would offer criticism.
The old NACA was a place where the middle ground was an uncomfortable place. (And with such extremes on display the middle ground was pretty wide). The New NACA? Worse. Infinitely worse.
And completely futile.
There are places for healthy, respectful debate about Politics. NACA is not it.
This place is biased
If you don't like it why are you still here?
Serious question.
Do you continue to go to restaurants that serve food that doesn't agree with you?
It would be helpful to know if most people use Colin's approach or mine
In my innocence I used to think CycleChat was only about Touring because that was the only forum I opened.
Now I use the new/recent posts.

To deviate slightly and to precede my point below, I found (and still do) the new software version to be difficult. It's a pity that there wasn't more of an explanation as to what was changing.
Perhaps a quick "how to" or page of hints might be helpful to optimise the user friendliness of the site? I'm sure some who have been here much longer than me are possibly missing out on features that have been added since they joined.
You have a point: I will put this to the team.
Since some of the Mods are engaging and fielding queries from all directions would it be an idea to start a thread (or even different threads) as a kind of feedback/this is where we are/ process?
More of an organised/strategic approach rather than scattergun?

I don't like quoting myself but...
And finally, for those pining for the Utopia of bike fora where everything is discussed freely and without problems can you throw up a link so that I can visit it please?
Sorry @jowwy I have no interest in electric MTBs

jowwy

about as much as this ...
being trained in complaints management by the public ombudsman for wales means my point is valid…

and for the record i never said it had anything to do with reporting abusive posts ,i struggle to understand why you think otherwise i said just because you have been trained by whoever , whenever does not mean your point on a cycling forum , or any other come to think of it, is valid,

serious question , why do you think being trained in complaints management by the public ombudsman for wales means your point is valid

and to make it easier to understand, and just to help out... this post also has nothing to do with reporting abusive posts
So again, what has me signing up to forum rules got to do with my training??? I stated my training gave me a valid point in people reporting abusive posts, you say it doesnt and then spouted about what rules i signed up to when registering my use of this forum…….

my point is valid cause my training tells me nd has instructed in now to deal with complainants and i was using that knowledge gained from my training to advise a moderator….a point that she accepted.
but again whats that to do with rules i signed upto when i registered as a member???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom