Dumbed Down, Not Much Of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I am amazed that people go into each sub-forum in turn to see what is happening. I just browse through New posts then Mark forums read. I don't care where the threads actually reside.

But... anybody who particularly wants to limit themselves to a sub-forum or two can do that instead if they prefer to.

I can't see the problem.
The problem is, Colin,that not everyone uses the forum as you do. For example, I don't.

I never use the "new posts" facility. I just go to the subforums that I have traditionally found interesting.

It would be helpful to know if most people use Colin's approach or mine

If it's mine, I think there is a strong argument for reabsorbing a lot of the special interest subforums back into Cafe

bagpuss

Guru
Yes folks, every one has an opinion on something and guess what they are different .

" When you no longer need approval from others like the air you breathe, the possibilities in life are endless.
What an interesting little prison we build from the
invisible bricks of other people's opinions. "- Author: Jacob Nordby

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
eyup pat you could be opening the door for tit for tat fall outs with that one, eg, could you delete xyz post as i find it offensive, where would it end.
I don't think he has. We've all seen trolling behaviour on here. Certain members, who aren't able to construct an argument resort to reporting posts to shut down the discussion. I, for one, have great faith in the Mod team's ability to spot true abuse.
I do have a point and being trained in complaints management by the public ombudsman for wales means my point is valid……..

the reason some one complains or reporte a post is because they feel wronged or offended…….its not upto a third party ( in this case moderators) to decide if the feeling of being offended is valid or not.

If moderators feel that the feeling of being offended is invalid, then they should then message the reporter of the post to explain why and not just leave it with no response and make the person feel even more offended for not being listened too……

Rocky

Hello decadence
I do have a point and being trained in complaints management by the public ombudsman for wales means my point is valid……..

the reason some one complains or reporte a post is because they feel wronged or offended…….its not upto a third party ( in this case moderators) to decide if the feeling of being offended is valid or not.

If moderators feel that the feeling of being offended is invalid, then they should then message the reporter of the post to explain why and not just leave it with no response and make the person feel even more offended for not being listened too……
I find your posts offensive. Moderators please can you delete them all.......

classic33

Leg End Member
The problem is, Colin, that not everyone uses the forum as you do. For example, I don't.

I never use the "new posts" facility. I just go to the subforums that I have traditionally found interesting.

If it's mine, I think there is a strong argument for reabsorbing a lot of the special interest subforums back into Cafe
I used to work down the front page, or go from memory, then Colinj mentioned he used the New Posts option. Until then I'd not used it, so I'm blaming ColinJ for getting me using Recent Posts* more nowadays.

*Differs from New Posts in that it shows threads with no new posts in them.

classic33

Leg End Member
The seperate sub forums were, at one time within another section. Moving them out has made those sub forums more visible. Applies to others, not just Cafe threads.

I use Colin's approach too, meaning looking at 'New posts' and reading all those which may be interesting, then 'Mark all read' to clear until I return. I do occasionally use 'Recent posts' when looking for something I've marked read.

If the 'New posts' sorting option wasn't there I'd probably read very few indeed as many titles which aren't immediately interesting, or are in some obscure sub-forum, can prove interesting after all.

gbb

Squire
Aren't you the guy who threatened that I wouldn't last very long on this forum because of the nature of my signatures and then deleted your post and my reply recently. I have been banned for criticising the moderation and had my threads locked (temporarily but looks like permanently) whole threads deleted. Many posts deleted. Anything considered controversial but true and backed up to be true is jumped on because it's not mainstream opinion . What's the point? The unofficial forum police. They know who they are. Complain and complain b5ut never get moderated. This place is biased. Face it.
Id argue life is biased, this place simply reflects the wider world.
Pre internet, it was (ime) considered bad order to discuss politics at work, why ?...because things get heated, theres nothing new in all this, you moderated yourself because the fella you might be argueing with was sat opposite you. All thats changed is you can now speak your mind in the surety you dont face that person...and the consequences it occasionally brought.

Fat Lars

Id argue life is biased, this place simply reflects the wider world.
Pre internet, it was (ime) considered bad order to discuss politics at work, why ?...because things get heated, theres nothing new in all this, you moderated yourself because the fella you might be argueing with was sat opposite you. All thats changed is you can now speak your mind in the surety you dont face that person...and the consequences it occasionally brought.
I wish they were face to face. I assure you they wouldn't

gbb

Squire
The problem is, Colin,that not everyone uses the forum as you do. For example, I don't.

I use your method.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
reabsorbing threads into cafe isnt the way to do it…..many posts on the diy part of the forum are for longtime projects like @JhnBssll posts about is house, van, garage etc etc and @Colin Grigson house build and my own garden rebuild threads….

those posts would be totally lost in the cafe section and a lot of people have invested time and effort in building them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

To be honest I thought most people use the new posts button. You get to see everything in one go and decide what to and what not to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom