Dumbed Down, Not Much Of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started posting again about 6 months ago after about a 7 year break from the place, I'd grown fat and lazy through the lockdown and wanted to get back into cycling as much as I used to and remembered "Hey isnt that cycling website still about I used to use?" :bicycle:Maybe that can help find my riding legs again.

I didn't really think the place had changed that much and though I'm not going to join NACA I'll happily not post anything here that should be there now I know about it:okay:

@Pat "5mph"

Someone suggested a new thread of passing suggestions back to the team and I think that's a great idea. When viewing the thread list and I click on the 'latest post' link (the one that shows when the last post was made) it takes me to that last post. I'd love it if instead it took me to the first unread post in that thread for me.:okay:

Some other forums I've used in the past did that but not a dealbreaker if not possible here.

When viewing the thread list and I click on the 'latest post' link (the one that shows when the last post was made) it takes me to that last post. I'd love it if instead it took me to the first unread post in that thread for me.:okay:
If you click on the thread title the software will do as you ask.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've not noticed any particular change.

NACA was a sub-foum that I never visited, now it's a separate forum ... that I never visit.

Some posters move on, new ones appear.

These "things ain't what they used to be" threads pop up quite regularly and have done for years. A bit like "what chain lube?" threads.

The forum is exactly what the membership wants and requires it to be. For anyone who thinks it has become boring there is always the "New topic" button they can use to post something they find more interesting.

One pleasant change I've noticed in the last couple of years is the departure of those few members who seemed to think they owned the forum, "Should we be discussing this?", or "Why is this thread still running when we(?) have already come to the correct conclusion?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Pat "5mph"

Someone suggested a new thread of passing suggestions back to the team and I think that's a great idea. When viewing the thread list and I click on the 'latest post' link (the one that shows when the last post was made) it takes me to that last post. I'd love it if instead it took me to the first unread post in that thread for me.:okay:
Hi!
As @HobbesOnTour said upthread, if you click on the thread title you should be taken to the first unread post.
This, ime, only works on the new posts menu top left of page, if you click on new threads bottom right of home page, you are always taken to the first post, no matter where you left off.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've not noticed any particular change.

NACA was a sub-foum that I never visited, now it's a separate forum ... that I never visit.

Some posters move on, new ones appear.

These "things ain't what they used to be" threads pop up quite regularly and have done for years. A bit like "what chain lube?" threads.
How many times? The answer is still finish line ceramic

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
The forum is exactly what the membership wants and requires it to be. For anyone who thinks it has become boring there is always the "New topic" button they can use to post something they find more interesting.

One pleasant change I've noticed in the last couple of years is the departure of those few members who seemed to think they owned the forum, "Should we be discussing this?", or "Why is this thread still running when we(?) have already come to the correct conclusion?

Now you mention it I haven't seen the "Close The Thread Now" line recently, well spotted.

If you click on the thread title the software will do as you ask.
Lovely thanks👍

How do I view the cafe though, I Don't see this forum under community?

Screenshot_20220321-222522_Firefox.jpg

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Didn't you read the "whatever happened to whats-is-name" thread?

It was said plenty of times until the thread was "cancelled" by the Mods. No argument with that but there were plenty of calls to close it.

Rusty, I think we are talking at cross purposes.

The "Close The Thread" people I was thinking about and I think Smokin Joe was meaning were those who, particularly on the Friday night is music thread, would nominate their song and then put nonsense like "The best song ever, close the thread" regardless of whether anyone else liked it.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There's not a lot to see of late, NACA gone, the one thread that had some traction / entertainment now closed.

There is only so many times you can read a request for a "bike for £1500" or "how to adjust my front mech"

Just me thinking out loud but I feel sure the lack of content / debate must also be persuading others to look in less and less.

Not knocking the people running the forum, certainly beyond my computer knowledge, just seen a few boards over the years becoming " over sensitive" and dying out.

Good luck.
You may have noticed how just about everyone feels that their own views are really very moderate and reasonable, and totally correct of course!!
It's always the 'others' who are nut job extremists

Progressive 'lefty' sorts are usually the ones trying to change things to make things fairer.

To small or large c 'conservatives' they're seen as 'trouble makers' because they point out awkward truths.

If you're never allowed to talk 'politics' or debate current events, you'll end up with a pretty narrow field .

That's what's been decided upon for this forum, by the owner.
His forum his rules.

If you want something a bit more ' lively' come join us in NACA..

We don't (all) bite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom