Dumbed Down, Not Much Of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
If people are leaving it’s probably because they eventually get hacked off with threads like this one that go round and round in circles with posters always needing to have the last word!
Definition of an argument,
Two or more people, trying to get the last word in first.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
If people are leaving it’s probably because they eventually get hacked off with threads like this one that go round and round in circles with posters always needing to have the last word!

Mo, the way this thread has gone in the last few pages was not my intention when I started it.

It was more to look for positive ideas / suggestions to make the forum more visitable and perhaps "let a bit more flow"

If the powers that be wish to delete the thread I would not be unhappy but hopefully some positives / new ideas may emerge amongst the pages of "debate"

Tribansman

Veteran
Why are these guys coming in for so much criticism? I know they don't ride proper bikes, but come on
The-Pebble-and-the-Boy.jpg

Tribansman

Veteran
One of those guys is a gal.
Guys is a gender fluid term these days

This sort of point has often been put forward, usually, but not always, by those who would not describe themselves as "lefties".

There are two options; use that as a reason not to join in, or, join in and improve the balance.

If there is a left-wing majority then clearly there is likely be a majority left-wing response, but that is not the fault of the left-wingers, nor is it "ganging up on" people no matter how often the term gets misused.

IMO NACA can become a bit of an echo chamber because of the smaller number of members but in fact the second most prolific poster is certainly no leftie, who admits he is there for the trolling and has remarked he doesn't get bans like he does on the mothership.
The new place is very civil and continues to be civil. No flare-ups and I think people took on board they cannot screw up for the 3rd time.Unfortunately the damage has been done and I guess last of the good contributors who is not left leaning or moderate have left the new forum.

Moderates by their very nature do not provide alternative views. So you would not get robust debates and discussion. They are the reasonable and nice guys.

I guess the bad memories remain. Any new comers looking at the title of most threads and reading the very first post will immediately know they are in the strong left wing of the chamber. Have a look at the titles of the threads. So now it a truly an echo chamber not by overwhelming numbers or the strong personalities but purely by default as there are no strong counter personalities in decent numbers.

Let me cite an example of what we a have lost. NHS is a national institution and a treasure. The cost of it running it is an issue and the non-medical leadership who are paid handsomely can't seem to deliver. There is a clear sign that a creeping movement of privatising is occurring by stealth. Yet not a single person has come forward in the other forum stating why it should be privatised in part or in whole and the reasons for it. I would like to hear these alternative views. It will never happen once the perception of a echo chamber is in place.

The new place is very civil and continues to be civil
I'm thinking your idea of "civil" and mine are very different.

A quick perusal of the first thread (P&O) and here are three replies (out of 42) that don't meet my interpretation of "civil discussion" because one poster isn't toeing the party line......

I’m staggered to think that you feel that way.

What next, immigrant children up the chimneys? After all no one really gives a toss about immigrants up a chimney.

Have you not met Maggot before?
In reference to a poster

When you say 'no-one,' you really mean 'you.'

There's another thread where posters are mocking a poster from this forum.

If that's civil discussion I want no part of it.

Maybe its time to stop indulging in motherhood statements. So let's cut out - "let's hold hands", "be nice to each other", "please contribute", "don't' blame others", "please don't moan". "we are responsible for what we created", "be kind to mods as they are volunteers" "the forum is reflections of its members" etc.

These motherhood statement by their very nature also attract likes. Unfortunately these are people who generally can't resolve things.

The issue is centred around allowing or not allowing current affairs to be raised and chatted about . The vast majority would be innocuous yet informative, entertaining at times, and makes the forum lively. It our hope to get the forum life back. We cannot live on a cycling diet.

May it time to fix the reporting mechanism such as quota etc so the mods don't get overwhelmed.

Mo, the way this thread has gone in the last few pages was not my intention when I started it.

It was more to look for positive ideas / suggestions to make the forum more visitable and perhaps "let a bit more flow"

If the powers that be wish to delete the thread I would not be unhappy but hopefully some positives / new ideas may emerge amongst the pages of "debate"
I am glad you started this thread. If not this place will lose its members. It's good call. Opinions and views are important and something its takes time to resolve an issue.

Arguments and counter arguments are part and parcel to eventually get a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom